GSR swap in my 94 hatch....only one problem!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

gsr_hatch14

New to the honda tuning scene...just got my d15b8 swapped out for a b18c1. car drives like a bat out of hell, just one problem, no vtec :confused:

now, i have a p28 ecu, and from what ive read it has to be chipped for the car to run...my buddy who did the swap says its an automatic p28, and some chip has to be removed for the vtec to "pop". i also have a CEL on, and he says that will go away too once that "chip" is popped out. problem is he doesnt remember which one. anyone know which one this is??

or

is there another cause for this? help is much appreciated... thanx alot guys (and gals)

Did you wire up vtec? If the hatch wasn't an EX or Si, and wasn't a 1992 model, the chassis isn't wired for vtec and you'll have to wire it from the solenoid to the ecu.

And someone else can help with the ecu and all that.

yup....vtec is wired...drove the car with my buddy's ecu and vtec popped at 5500 rpm... so it has to be my ecu... right?

Well obviously, yes. The ecu is for an automatic, right? And I'm guessing your car is manual...so just get the stock GSR ecu and you'll be fine, or figure out the whole chip problem. I think the p28 is for a d16z6.

okay, but ive also heard the gsr ecu is gonna throw a cel when wired to harness as well....not doubting you just, trying to sift through all of this info

Alright...if the car's got a GSR motorswap wired up and everything working perfectly, why would a GSR ecu throw a CEL? It would throw a CEL if you get one that's a different OBD. If you stayed OBD-1, then just get an OBD-1 GSR ecu.

And modifying the automatic ecu...it's a p28 auto meant for a Z6 auto operating a c1 manual.. I know if it was a manual p28, you could simply run GSR basemaps...maybe get a chip to convert from auto to manual and run GSR maps?

A GSR ecu will cost over $100, while a chip is maybe $15? Then you gotta find someone who can modify it to run the maps and convert to manual. It might just be easier to get an OBD-1 GSR ecu.

well, i found how to convert it to manual...but would that be the only reason vtec isn't engaging...? it is wired up....

You already said vtec worked with a buddy's ecu. So I'd suggest you don't waste money messing with the messed up ecu you already have and just take it as a loss and buy a new one :thumbsup:.

But I don't know much about ecu's and tuning at all, so you can try it if you want but that's what I would do ^^^.

Back