GSR sway bar in my 5th gen

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Canuck 93 Civic Si

A friend of mine has a set of gsr sway bars and the lower control arms for the rear. Im thinking of picking them up from him. Is it a worth while swap or should i not bother unless i really want something much better.

thanks

Sean

Originally posted by liquid00meth@Oct 28 2003, 11:54 PM
you will notice minimal increase. I'd reccomend a larger aftermarket bar.

It will be more then minimal, saying you have none on there right now. If your not into autox or road racing, pick one up. You can get them super cheap

i noticed a lot in my coupe. i can over steer the shit out of it. i think it would create more oversteer on a hatch because they have less weight in the back.

yeah go and pick up those parts from your friend and throw away the 14mm gsr sway bar and put in a type-r one that 22m. you have to do some mods to the mount plates and get a after market braket from summit.
its the bomb set up with the type r bar

click here on the link

http://hybrid2.honda-perf.org/tech/ITRon5G.html

check it out it has the info your looking for

Originally posted by highperboi@Oct 29 2003, 01:13 AM
i noticed a lot in my coupe. i can over steer the shit out of it. i think it would create more oversteer on a hatch because they have less weight in the back.

no. friends hatch has the progress rear sway bar (pretty sure its progress), and that thing oversteers like a fuckin stang if you do it right.

no??? i didnt say it wouldnt oversteer i said it would oversteer more in a hatch seeing they dont have a trunk to lug around.

I do auto-x and I went from nothing in my '92 hatch to a GSR 14mm bar (thanks again B16) and there is a dif. I have no front bar and I am trying to produce oversteer.

At the last auto-x I had the car doing 4 wheel drifts & slinging the back out like a RWD. I couldn't do that before the dinky 14mm sway.

When I upgrade to the 22mm Comptech bar I'll add the Del Sol front bar to keep the car predictable.

Originally posted by ahedau@Nov 11 2003, 09:02 PM
(thanks again B16)

:thumbsup:

in my del sol i have stock front sway and ITR rear sway, very predictable this way, very fun on the road course. still trying to decide if i liked my coupe better though when i just had the rear ITR bar and no front sway.

go with to big of a bar and you'll end up with snap-oversteer, which is definitley not what you want if your not used to it.

Originally posted by ahedau@Nov 12 2003, 12:02 AM
I do auto-x and I went from nothing in my '92 hatch to a GSR 14mm bar (thanks again B16) and there is a dif. I have no front bar and I am trying to produce oversteer.

At the last auto-x I had the car doing 4 wheel drifts & slinging the back out like a RWD. I couldn't do that before the dinky 14mm sway.

When I upgrade to the 22mm Comptech bar I'll add the Del Sol front bar to keep the car predictable.

I'm probably going to be doing the same thing as you and was contemplating just puting a gsr rear sway on for starters but I will probably skip straight to the comptech sway/tie bar package and save some time and money
once I get that one I'll see how it feels and put the SIR2 front sway in if it feels unstable or I get "snap oversteer"

I have a guy who can get me the comptech setup for $360 + some shipping and for me tax because he's from the same state as me
let me know if you find it for less

if it feels unstable or I get "snap oversteer"

problem is when you "feel it" it is too often followed by the sound of metal bending/tearing & glass breaking.

Unless you have experience driving a car that is LOOSE AS A GOOSE (like a Miata on slicks in the rain) then I would NOT suggest going from zero to adding a 22mm rear sway & lower tie bar without also stiffening the front.

But its your car/life. You're not in GA are you?? ;)

Originally posted by ahedau@Nov 12 2003, 08:49 PM
if it feels unstable or I get "snap oversteer"

problem is when you "feel it" it is too often followed by the sound of metal bending/tearing & glass breaking.

Unless you have experience driving a car that is LOOSE AS A GOOSE (like a Miata on slicks in the rain) then I would NOT suggest going from zero to adding a 22mm rear sway & lower tie bar without also stiffening the front.

But its your car/life. You're not in GA are you?? ;)

i did just that in my coupe, it is not that bad, really. and i did spin that car once on the track. i loved it :)

well, I still might end up just going with a GSR 13mm bar because I can probably get it for next to nothing along with the LCA's that I need to get anyway
that would go on pretty easily and would be a good transition to moving to a 22mm bar possibly next spring

not in GA :lol:

i did spin that car once on the track. i loved it

had that happened n turn 10 I'm thinking your reaction would have been a little dif, ef? :p

Originally posted by ahedau@Nov 13 2003, 05:14 PM
i did spin that car once on the track. i loved it 

had that happened n turn 10 I'm thinking your reaction would have been a little dif, ef? :p

haha, yes. i was mighty intimidated by that turn, i was not going to push it :)
the spin i was referring to was turn 14 at thunder hill. it is a 120deg. turn. thunder hill has plenty of run off room, its great.

i had the gsr bar on my car, it was decent but not like the newly added 23mm itr bar i just put on. check my sig for more info.

Back