GSR Timing

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

b16GSR

B Series Guru
How would i go about timing my '94 GSR motor...the distribitor does not turn so i dont know how to do it.

The distributor has to be able to turn, if you can't figure out how to loosen to disributor then maybe you shouldn't be trying to time the engine.
If you feel confident that you may just be missing something, then follow these instructions:
tools needed;
12mm closed end wrench
3/8"drive ratchet with 2 or 3" extension
12mm 6pt deep socket
timing light with inductive pickup
service check connector or whatever you normally use to check your codes/check engine light (wire, paperclip, etc.)
Procedure:
Start engine and allow to reach normal operating temperature, drive it up and down the road a couple times if you have to.
turn off engine
loosen the 2 lower bolts that hold the distributor on (DO NOT REMOVE THEM, JUST LOOSEN THEM A COUPLE THREADS)
loosen the top distributor bolt only just enough so that it is a little hard to turn the dizzy
connector service connector (or the like)
hook up the timing light to the battery and hook up the inductor to the #1 spark plug wire
start the engine and aim the light at the marks on the timing belt cover and the engine crankshaft pully
there are 4 marks on the pully, but you only need to worry about the 3 that are right next to eachother (about 4mm apart or 1/4inch apart)
you want the marks on the timing cover to line up with the middle of the 3 on the pully, AT IDLE
depending on which way you move the disributor it will move the may the marks line up, if you want to adance the engine use the mark closer to the radiator, if you want to retard the engine, use the mark closer to the firewall.
once you get the marks where you want them then tighten the top bolt on the dizzy and echeck with the timing light to make sure it didnt move while tightening.
then shut down the engine and tighten up the other 2 distributor bolts

Back