GSR trans popping out of 5th?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

stmotorsports

i know this is a fairly common issue but i did a few searches & couldnt find much. My gsr started doing this about a week ago, I'll be cruising on the highway and it will just drop out of gear into neutral

anyone know what the typical causes are for this? motor mounts, shift forks, shifter/linkage bushings, ...??

obviously something is a hair out of alignment I'm just not sure what

anyone?

Have you checked to see if it's still there? I had that issue with my Civic; I'd fill it up, 1hr later on the highway it would start popping out of 5th. Found out one axle wasn't in all the way and was leaking on turns.

If it's not that, then I'd say bearing has worked its way out or fork is bent.

yep its still doing it

no leaks that i can see and both axles are seated

the weird thing is i've had the car for almost 6 months and it just started doing this, its my dd so i havent even been rough on it

it only does it in 5th, never done it in any other gear

could it be a motor mount?

I don't think it's the motor mounts; but doesn't hurt to check. Bad mounts mean it'll most likely pop out of other gears.

I would open it up and check to see if the countershaft bearing worked its way out.

wouldnt the countershaft bearing make it pop out of other gears as well?

i actually just happen to have a spare gsr trans laying around, 3rd is gone but prolly gonna rebuild that and throw it in to see what happens

take the 3rd gear out of the current tranny and throw it in the spare.. problem solved

my 93 gsr tranny did the same thing, the axle would pop on turns. the fluid would always get low. later found out it destroyed the tranny cuz of lack of fluid.

Back