Guitar question

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

budda

So I just happend to axquire a very old acoustic guitar that was made sometime in the 1940s. I'm pretty stoked. I mean, who wouldn't be. My dad got it back in the 60s and never learned how to play, so it's just been sitting forgotten in the closet a few decades, and he said i could have it. Well, unfortunately, my dad didn't know about guitar care, and that before storage, it should always be detuned. So for 30+ years, this guitar remained tuned.

Which leads me to the problem. The neck's bowed. :( I'm a little curious how to fix this. It's not bowed unbelievably, but it's unplayable. I'm replacing the current strings (that are as brown as the guitar) with nylon ones will ease the tension to a playable level, but it's not seeming likely.

So i'm a little curious if any of you will have an idea as to what it will cost to get the neck debowed. I'm not about to give up on a 60 year old guitar just for having a neck cramp, especially since it's been in my family for so many years

that's what i'm probably gonna do. I plan to ask around at guitar center and willis music along with others, but i'm not sure about what they can do. The neck doesn't have a truss rod, so maybe a woodworking shop may be best.

^True, but if the music shop cant do anything about it, they can at least refer you to someone that can, you know?

Blanco is 100% right.

I'm no luthier, but I hope your neck is a bolt-on. In my experience with carpentry, a warped piece of wood needs something straight and sturdy to be fastened to. Never heard of a way to "unwarp" wood. Maybe with lots of moisture and some clamps :shrug2:

What kind of guitar is it!? Pics!

I have no clue what type of guitar it is. All the badges are missing. If i remember correctly its a hawaiian guitar. Has 2 slides and a finger pick. All of which quite rusty.

The neck's not too bad. Maybe some thinner strings will make it playable.

I don't know how credible this is, but I heard on the show home improvement that steam can allow wood to bend. A luthier would know.

Anyway, on to the pics

101_0807.jpg

101_0808.jpg

101_0809.jpg

101_0812.jpg

101_0815.jpg

101_0819.jpg

Back