H22 harmonic balancer / Timing Belt

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ohmstable

I just changed the timing belt on the H22 and I fucked with the belt that goes on the harmonic balancer. Now start the thing up and find it's sending pretty bad vibration through the car. I didn't see any sort of marking on the balancer shaft pulley when i was putting it all back together. I had Cyln 1 at TDC and the cams at TDC and the crank at TDC when I put the timing belt on, But I wasn't sure if the balancer shaft is supposed to be at a certain position?? Is there any marks on this thing? Also what is the other pulley driven with the balancer shaft and the crank? Any help would be great.

First, I think the second pulley you're talking about is for the second balance shaft. Either that, or it's a tensioner.

Second, try calling Honda and see what they have to say about timing it.

Ok I fixed it.

The other pulley is another balancer shaft.. there's 2 of them, front and back. Anyway, the front has a mark that you line up for TDC and to get the back one aligned at TDC you need to remove a screw off the back of the block and put a longer screw or drill bit or something that will go in about 2 inches. When you turn the rear balance shaft while doing this, the drill bit will lock into a hole on the shaft which means the shaft is at TDC.

So I did all that and its up and running. What a difference those harmonic balancers make!!

After having the timing belt on my '91 Accord changed there is a subtle but noticable vibration in the car as the engine runs. Do you think this could be because the balancer bars were not set right to TDC when the new belts were placed?

Even though it seems like just a minor vibration, do I risk engine damage if I leave it vibrating like this?

Thanks,
Tim

if you noticed it after the timing belt change then I'm guessing the balancer wasn't 100% lined up during installation of the belt. When I had mine messed up, the car was basicly rattling itself apart at idle. I'm not sure if it will cause damage or not but I'm sure your motor mounts wouldn't be too happy about it and also it's not a comfortable ride.

Originally posted by dohcvtec_accord@Jun 30 2003, 01:09 PM
First, I think the second pulley you're talking about is for the second balance shaft. Either that, or it's a tensioner.

Second, try calling Honda and see what they have to say about timing it.

Don't drive the car until you fix it. It will chew itself apart.

You have two balancing shafts. At top dead center, the shaft on the exhaust side of the motor should have a timing mark, which corresponds with a mark on the block. On the intake side, it's a bit trickier. There is a bolt on the intake side of the block that has to be removed. After removal, a small screwdriver (approximate size) has to be inserted into the block. When the balancing shaft is lined up, the screwdriver will drop in a little further. I don't have the manual for the H22, but on my F22, it said that the "tool" should enter exactly 74 mm.

Grab a manual. It's not that tough, but if you don't know, it'll feel like you have a bumblebee under your foot. More than annoying, that vibration will chew up bearings like an Ethiopian at a barbeque.

I made that same mistake the first time I changed my F22 timing belts...... :roll:

Back