h22 hatch. suspension issues

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

number1hondas

hey guys. i have a 93 hatch wit a full h22a swap. the motor runs great since i got it in june but the car has some very obvious handling issues. im posting this question cause i really have no lcue when it comes to axles suspension etc.. this is the problem. my car feels like it smashes down on every little bump. it is a very rough ride. also when i turn to a certain side there is ALOT of vibration. almost as if my tires were way not alligned. i did get an allingment but they said comethin bout needin camber plates or somethin like that.(correct me if wrong). anyways if you guys have any suggestions im real stuck and i dont know where to start other than i need new suspension. and wat parts of suspension should i fix.. help would be greatly appritiated. thanks

my eg has the exact same swap and vibrated a little when going straight a little and even more when turning right. the more i crank the wheel right the worse the vibrations go. i tried taking it to firestone but they were unable to figure out the problem. i thought it was possibly the wheel bearing but i'm not to sure.

did you ever figure out what the problem is? i'm kind of curiouse cause my car's doing the same thing...

ditto only its in my del sol, and by "smashing down" do you mean when your weight is putting pressing on the shocks, it does that vibrating. Mine does it in dips and on hard turns, I did have one bad axle and got it replaced, it helped a little bit still have the problem when turning hard. My thought was that with an h22a in place of the d16 the weight of it was working the suspension a bit harder, and with springs lowering it about 1 1/2 inch putting down pressure in the area of the shocks where it most likley hasnt gone before. My car isnt that much lower so i shouldnt need a camber kit for it.. anyone have some idea for us guys?

H22's are heavy for that car. Your stock suspension isnt really meant to hold that much weight that the h22 gives you. If you have the stock, from factory shocks in your 93. Then thats where I believe your "smashing" is coming from. those shocks are already worn if their orignial. I've hardly ever seen anyone (around here atleast) change out for new shocks on a honda. You need to see about upgrading your suspension. In my opinon better shock absorbers.

Are the cars lowered at all? or are you "smashing" with stock suspension?

For the vibration issue. take your car. jack up the front end where both front tires are off the ground. Grab the tire, while its still bolted on, horizontally, and give it a good push with one hand while pulling with the other. if it shakes or feels like theres play, then you have a problem in the steering, either bad rack and pinion, or tie rod ends
Grab the tire vertically and do the same thing, if there shaking or mass amount of play. then one or the other ball joint is bad. and needs to be replaced.

Talk to your local mechanic or pick up a book and read kids. it helps.

what would be a decent but affordable supension kit for that swap? and sorry for the thred jack...

That im not exactly sure on which one would be the best as for I've never owned the swap myself.

Back