H22 head swap. Need dizzy options

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Bird333

I got an JDM OBD1 H22 head that I will be putting on my USDM OBD2 Accord. The H22 dizzy is internal coil (and has been modified for external MSD I was told) and the F22B2 is external coil. I want to keep external coil (well I think I do). Here are my questions:

1. Since the F22 dizzy won't bolt to the the H22 head, can I gut the H22 and install the F22 internals?
2. How can I get the H22 dizzy back to stock?
3. I know I will have to do some re-wiring no matter what, would it just make more sense to get a USDM external coil H22 dizzy?

I am trying to spend as little as possible.

Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated.

TIA

H22 and F22 internals are swappable. The housings are the same shape and the internal screws are in the same locations. The shafts are different, and the housing bolt patterns are different.

I am one of the few people on here that is running an H22 shaft and housing, along with Accord internals and coil. It will work if you are confident in doing the work yourself.

Or, you could use the H23 dizzy. Your choice. BTW, I prefer H22 internal coil, but only for aesthetic reasons.

I didnt say that because i couldnt remember which gen the B2 was. I was afraid the B2 was OBD2.

Yeah, OBD2, that's different. I'm sure the internals are different even if they swap. OBD1 had sensors in there that OBD2 does not.

F22B2's were in 94-95 Accords as well. I've swapped one, so I know. :shrug2:

Quoted post[/post]]
Yeah, OBD2, that's different. I'm sure the internals are different even if they swap. OBD1 had sensors in there that OBD2 does not.

F22B2's were in 94-95 Accords as well. I've swapped one, so I know. :shrug2:

Yeah, I know that a couple of sensors in OBD2 are down on the block. Well can you advise me on returning the H22 dizzy to stock?

not if it is OBD2. I don't know what has been done, or what is swappable. Another OBD2 dizzy from a Prelude or Accord should swap, but I can't say for sure.

Quoted post[/post]]
not if it is OBD2. I don't know what has been done, or what is swappable. Another OBD2 dizzy from a Prelude or Accord should swap, but I can't say for sure.

No the H22 dizzy is a OBD1. I'll take a look at it and describe what it looks like was done to it.

ok, so the motor is obd1 and the car is obd2. That makes sense, but you should have told us right away.

If the housings are the same, then they will probably swap. However, if you already had an OBD2 dizzy that worked, you'd probably just use that.

I bet that an OBD2 dizzy can be bought on Ebay and installed. That would be your simplest option. Spark is the least of your worries. You need the whole system to work together.

Quoted post[/post]]
ok, so the motor is obd1 and the car is obd2. That makes sense, but you should have told us right away.

If the housings are the same, then they will probably swap. However, if you already had an OBD2 dizzy that worked, you'd probably just use that.

I bet that an OBD2 dizzy can be bought on Ebay and installed. That would be your simplest option. Spark is the least of your worries. You need the whole system to work together.

I thought in my original post I made it clear that I was putting a JDM OBD1 H22 Head in a OBD2 Accord (F22B2 engine), but maybe not. I am trying to attach pics of the dizzy here. The mods that appear to be made are these:
1. It looks like two black/yellow wires from the ICM are soldered together into one wire.
2. A yellow/green wire from the ICM has a 'spade connector' attached with some additional wire.
3. The internal coil is missing.
4. I don't know if this is a mod or not but it looks like there is a razor blade down inside the dizzy where there is an 'arm' that extends from the shaft that scraps this razon blade as the shaft rotates.
5. On the cap it looks like they added a red post, but it doesn't seem to connect to anything when I try to measure continuity with a multi-meter.

Well I thought I was gonna attach pics but I don't see how. Can you post attachments to a message?

TIA

I was thinking about this today.......

I take back my previous statement. If your motor is OBD1, then I think you need to run an OBD1 distributor, *UNLESS* you decide it is easier to add all the sensors to the block that are present in OBD2 motors.

Basically, a standard OBD1 dizzy with the correct sensors wired up to your harness is what you want. You need the CYP(cylinder position sensor), CKP (crankshaft position sensor), and TDC (top dead center sensor).

Those are all inside the OBD1 distributor. I've seen the guts, and I couldn't tell you which is which.

but the bottom end of his motor is the obd2 F22B2. He isnt doing a full swap, just the head. I really do think he would be okay using his old dizzy without any rewiring.

H22 head needs an H22 or H23 dizzy.

Now that I have reread his first statement, it makes more sense.

1. I don't think so. Your F22B2 dizzy would be OBD2 and the H22 dizzy is OBD1.

2. Swap in OBD1 parts from either an internal or external accord or prelude distributor.

3. It doesn't matter.

Back