H22 internals

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ferrarikiller

Does anyone know how much hp stock h22 rods can handle? And how much boost a stock h22 could handle. I heard that if you pull the pistons that you have to resleeve the motor. Is that true?

there's no set limit. like 299 is fine, but 300 will pop 'em.

Things break, not only due to power level, but due to unperfect conditions. a taste of bad gas, a slow injector, or any other factor can cause problems and test the limits of any part. That said, I've seen stock motors blow rods at 150 hp, and i've seen stock rods hold 400 for a year.

Tuning and conditions are a huge factor in this. If you don't upgrade and go big, the risk factor tripples. if you stay small, there's always the risk, but chances are you will be ok.

As for the pistons-

H22 sleeves are a composite made of a material called FRM, or Fibre Reinforced Metal. FRM is an aluminum oxide, ceramic composite material that is injected into the normal iron sleeves. What happens is, the ring/piston will form like a weld to the forged piston when it gets real hot. Over time, your sleeves end up looking like this:

cjb-72.jpg

and your pistons,

cjb-73.jpg

That said- some folks have run them with no issues. its luck of the draw. If it was my motor, I woudl sleeve it.

Back