h22 problems..cel's on..HELP!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DhN

well...got my car from the shop after getting tops and iat sensors on and adjusted...i drive and a cel flasshes,....i jump it n check it...its code 12....egr valve..i have a 91 accord btw with the swap..anywho...i put vacuum 16 on the egr valve...and later ill reset ecu..but when i went to get gas..i filled it up....then car wouldnt start..after like 5 min of waiting and crasnking it started....then cel popped on..i thought it was the code 12 again...but i jumped it anyway..and got a knock sensor code out of nowhere..code 23..also....my idle is so gay...it fluctuates when i put it in park..after i drive...say id rove to school..then park it...it fluctuates between 1000-15000 back and forth then finally stays steady..drops abit....idk its weird..and while driving when i elt off the gas..the rpm goes down to like 1000..its weird..any help is appreciated thanks guys
plus my water temp guage isnt working..it goes to maybe the middle..and comes down very slowly..somtimes doesnt even go all the way up or w/e
im also smelling oil when i open my hood..as well as when i walk around the hood area...normal?

summary..

cel codes:12,23
both are egr valve....and knock sensor

filled up car with gas....car wouldnt start.....car started after while.checked the cel's....and then the code 23 came up..which i didnt have before....had the 12 first..then after filling up..got the code 23

plus my water temp guage isnt working..it goes to maybe the middle..and comes down very slowly..somtimes doesnt even go all the way up or w/e
im also smelling oil when i open my hood..as well as when i walk around the hood area...normal?

i have fluctuating idle.....after driving and putting into park..idlke fluctuates from 1000-1500 rpms...then stays at around1..maybe a bit lower...rpm's also drop while crusing

are you using 93 octane gas? A bad EGR leads to a bad vacuum system, and will cause your idle fluctuation

abundant smell of oil......knock sensor problem.....roughf idle...wont start after you put fresh gas into it......

i mean im no expert by any means but i would take an assumprion and say it sounds like your rings may be going bad or something or your seals are going..... by no means should you smell oil or anything when u open your hood unless you refilled and maybe spilled some on the block and the heat is burning it off... you say you filled up and then the car wouldnt start. the only way the knock sensor code would show up especially after filling the tank, would be if the gas u filled up with had an abundance of water in it.....enoughf to set the knock sensor off. otherwise if thats not the case then...it would seem as if your car isnt getting enoughf fuel to start or its mixing with something ( possibly oil) which would explain both the reason why you smell oil it like it was rubbed on your upper lip and why the knock sensor is throwing a code.

have you reset your ecu since??.....has it happen since,...whats going on now with it??

oh and as far as you EGR is concerned...i really dont know if it would cause much of a probelm like what your having becuase the ass hole who helped me do my h22 swap in my 92 accord hooked my EGR wires up to my VSS wires ( claims that the plugs are the same and he didnt notice the color of the wires on it...go figure!!!) but i was running it like that for 3 months and i didnt have any problems, except for my speedometer which took me 3 months to figure out why it was working. but when i hooked everythign back up the proper way. i didnt really notice any difference of idle or performance or gas mileage.
not to contradict REIKOSHEA, im just giving you my experience

ok heres the deal

i think the smell of oil...was because i jus got it filled..cuz i dont smell it anymore...

i cant find the connecter for the egr...yeh its dumb..but i didnt lble all my lines and such..and the shop who adjusted my tps...porlly moved things around abit...what color are thw wires for the egr...and where would the connector for it be...im usign the accord harness to....so anyone have any pics

also...my temp guage isnt working p[roperly..usually it wont move at all..then while driving it raises abit..like afterawhile....but say im driving around for awhile..it wont move...then it starts to move abit after driving some more....thermostat problems?..anyone have this problem?

and i have this idle problem still.....rpms boucne when i put it in park..then slowly stop...also a surging idle aswell..ionno wtf to do

Quoted post[/post]]
ok heres the deal

i think the smell of oil...was because i jus got it filled..cuz i dont smell it anymore...

i cant find the connecter for the egr...yeh its dumb..but i didnt lble all my lines and such..and the shop who adjusted my tps...porlly moved things around abit...what color are thw wires for the egr...and where would the connector for it be...im usign the accord harness to....so anyone have any pics

also...my temp guage isnt working p[roperly..usually it wont move at all..then while driving it raises abit..like afterawhile....but say im driving around for awhile..it wont move...then it starts to move abit after driving some more....thermostat problems?..anyone have this problem?

and i have this idle problem still.....rpms boucne when i put it in park..then slowly stop...also a surging idle aswell..ionno wtf to do

the EGR valve wiring clip is a 3 pin wire clip...same type of clip as your vehicle speed sensor. the 3 wires for the egr clip should be green/white stripe....yellow/white stripe.....white/black stripe.

id make sure the person didnt hook up your Vss to the egy clip. the 3 vss wires should be solid orange and 2 solid black wires on them. id check that and see whats up

as far as your roughf idle...you might have a bad throttle position sensor. which would explain the irratic range of RPM fluctuation. id check that to. keep us informed...

is it an aftermarket temp gauge that is not working or is it the stock temp gauge??

its the stock temp guage.....on startup it idles high..round 2000..thjen drops.....when i park it it idles back and forth..so annoying..and while cursing the rpms drop to round 1000..i dont think its my tps sensor..i jsu gotta find where this connector is....i kno itds by the vss..any other tips on finding it..where else is it close to and etc thanks for the help

help please

anyone got a pic where the egr valve connector is...oor can tell me where to look for it..im using the accord harness on my h22 swap..please help

looking at your engine from the front of the vehicle, it is on the left hand side behind the valve cover. It isnt a normal EGR, but thats what you should be lookin for.

i kno what and where the egr is..i dont know where the connector for it is...anyone got a pic or something or tell me where it is

OK MAN...HERES SOME PICS 4 U.....IM ACTUALLY GLAD I DID THIS BECAUSE I DISCOVERED SOMETHING INTERESTING. ABOUT 5 MONTHS AGO WHEN I HAD FINISHED MY SWAP, MY SPEDO STOP WORKING I HAD NO CLUE WHAT I WAS BUT I THOUGHT IT MIGHT HAVE BEEN A BAD VSS. COME TO FIND OUT, AFTER 4 MONTHS OF TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THE HELL HAPPEN, I DISCOVERED MY VSS WAS WHERE MY EGR SHOULD BE AND MY EGR WAS WHERE MY VSS SHOULD BE. ONCE I SWITCHED THEM THEY WORKED PERFECT. BUT, WHAT I ALSO DISCOVERED THAT WASNT COOL WAS TAHT, HONDA MADE THE VSS WIRE AS WELL AS THE EGR VALVE WIRE THE SAME COLORS. ( BLACK, YELLOW, ORANGE). BUT YOULL SEE FROM THE PICS. HOPE THESE HELP YOU OUT.

gallery_31683_265_60819.jpg

gallery_31683_265_17005.jpg

gallery_31683_265_55285.jpg

gallery_31683_265_36341.jpg

WAIT!!!!!!......i made a horrible mistake...im a dumb ass. i apologize man. i totally forgot that i rewired my egr valve connector with another plug. that plug happen to be off of a VSS. the real colors are the same colors as the egr valve which are GREEN, WHITE, AND YELLOW. i apologize and i totally forgot. the clip you should be looking for looks just like this one except the colors will be green, yellow, and white.

Back