h22 swap in 92 Si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

nautique196

Hi all
Im new to the H22 side of honda, neway we got a 92 Prelude Si and it threw a rod. So I was lookin for just a straight replacment but all the junkyards around here want like 1000 or more for an h23. but we can get an h22 for 400$ with wiring harness and ecu. so tryin to save the extra buck i wanna use the h22. i was wondering if the h23 auto tranny would work, if all the mounts are the same, and what wires i would have to run. i really dont even care if vtec works its for someone else that just wants it to drive. i mean this motor had almost 300k on b4 it let go. so i doubt this girl was ever drivin above 3k rpm. oh yea one other question... why is the h23 so much more expensive? i figured evr1 would charge out the ass for an h22?

Yes the H23 tranny will bolt right up to the h22. If you don't care about the vtec you dont have to wire it up. Though if if i were you, i would wire up the vtec for resale purposes. If you do that you need a wire up 3 wires for the vtec. (One wire will just be the ground.) One wire for the knock sensor because i do not know if the h23 has a knock sensor. and one for the butterfly valve under the intake. Very simple.
If you choose not to wire up the vtec i think you should just take the h23 head and intake and put it all on the h22 block. The you wont have to worry about running wires or anything. Then you could resell the head and intake on ebay. Make a few bucks off of it.
But yes everything should be the same, all the mounts, axels and remember to use your stock wiring harness.
As for getting all that for $400, i would look into it. Make sure there is no sludge inthe motor. That is really cheap for an h22 with everything. Usually they are more then the H23 because they have Vtec.

Back