1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h22 swap question

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> BA-BB /CA-CD' started by hockeymann44, Apr 23, 2005.

1. hockeymann44

hockeymann44 Junior Member

I have a question concerning a swap I'm performing. I've run out of money, for the time being, swapping an H22 into my 92 Prelude. The original engine was an H23. Can, in theory, I atleast start and run the car using the stock P14 ecu, and the only thing be that I don't have VTEC?

I don't know if anyone knows the answer to this, but any input is appreciated.

2. mxer518

mxer518 Junior Member

if you are asking if you can use the stock p14 ecu the answer is yes. thats what i did on my 93 lude until i could afford my hondata setup.... it is a good idea to keep it under like 4000 rpm, to be safe

3. tab

tab Super Moderator

Yeah it'll run, but you'll have considerably less power, and you should take it easy until you get the right ECU.

4. hockeymann44

Thanks guys. I figured you could, with the near-identical things with both the h22 and h23. I don't believe I'd drive it very far, I just want to make sure it runs until I get the JDM ECU to put in.

Thanks for the replies though.

5. hockeymann44

another dumb question,

What about the timing belts between the h22 and h23? same or different? I have a new one in the box for the h23, and if I can use it on the h22, I will, otherwise I gotta get one. Anyone know?

6. hockeymann44

I just looked it up using autozone.com, and I found that the balancer shaft belt is the same, but the timing belt is different (which makes sense to me). Sorry about that, I forget that I can do part number matches on sites like that :p

7. DesertNightEagle

DesertNightEagle Senior Member

yeah, timing belts are totally different. but hey, hondata has p28's for a decent price although you'd want a p72 or a p13.....

8. hockeymann44

Do you know off hand if anyone has driven a manual h22 on a p13 set up for an automatic? All I have access to is the automatic P13 ecu, and I have a manual car. I didn't know if the park/neutral switches present on automatics would end up not letting me start the car and what not. If all it does it light up the check engine light, that's fine, I don't care if that's all I deal with.

9. tab

tab Super Moderator

I think it would work, but you would definitely have a code. You might also be able to convert the ECU.

Consult PGMFI.org for details or info on that.

10. RICK_FD3S

RICK_FD3S Junior Member

When I did my first H23 to H22 swap the motor came with a JDM atu ECU. I used it for 2 years with not problems and no CEL. Actually when I tryed the 5 Spd ECU the car felt slower to me. SO I put the auto ECU back in

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted