H22 Timing ; Knock Sensor

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ohmstable

Hey is it possible that if the timing is off, the knock sensor code will keep showing up? My H22 keeps throwing code 23. What could be the cause?

It's definitely possible. If your timing is set incorrectly, or if your timing belt is off a tooth, it can massively affect your timing, possibly to the point that you're pissing off the knock sensor.

Also, are you sure you've got the sensor wired to the correct location at the ECU?

I'm pretty sure it's wired correctly but I won't know 100% until I check it. I'm going to try and check the wiring this weekend. Hopefully thats the prob.

I suppose it could be a bad knock sensor as well, but it's doubtful. Let us know what you find out. I originally had my knock sensor wired into the wrong place on my ECU, which made me throw the same code.

I checked the wiring and it was fine and replaced the knock sensor, still getting code 23.
I also unlugged the sensor and tried running the car and the code 23 came on again. Then I unplugged the pin on the ECU harness which goes to the knock sensor and the code still comes after running the car for awhile. Now I was thinking maybe its the ECU or perhaps I should be running a shielded cable from the sensor to the ECU? Maybe the ECU is picking up stray voltages and triggering the code.

Any help??

hey if u replaced the knock sensor and u said it fine this must mean u now have 2 would u like to sell the spare

Sorry man, I don't have the old one because I got it from the engine importer and he took my old one.

ohm stable what did you do to correct your KS problem. I am having the same headache and have tried everything to correct it including running shielded wire different ecu replacing the ks and a whole list of other things. Any info will help greatly.

I'm having the same problem with my knock sensor going off I'm running a jdm h22 in my h23 prelude body with a p13 ecu,h23 wiring harness and h23 distibutor and coil. Ihave changed the throttle body thinking my tps sensor was bad have changed ignition wires,plugs I heard that if you run a p28 ecu which doesn't have a knock sensor it will run strong, please anyone that can help or knows what is going let me know how to fix it. :worthy:

run a chipped p28 with H22 maps, that's what I ended up doing. It runs well.. however the p28 cannot work the secondary intake runners so you loose some lowend torque.. still beats running the p13 in limp mode with a knock sensor code!

A knock sensor code won't throw the ECU into limp mode. It simply causes you to lose some power since it thinks it needs to retard timing.

If doing the engine swap from an F22 to an H23, the knock sensor is the same connector as the F22's Power Steering Pressure Switch....so I plugged the knock sensor into it....Does anyone know what pin the F22 PSP switch is? My H23 engine has the F22 engine wire harness on it....it's running great, except I have a KS code.
Thanks! Cheers!

Back