h22 tranny grinding

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

DVJr84

H22A4drCivic
I cant seem to find out why my tranny is grinding? I thought it could've been an axle so i changed it and it still does it. Its the h22 trans also. the grind feels like its coming out of the passenger side of the tranny anybody ever had these symptoms or anybody have knowledge on the subject??? I was told it might be the rear differential?

okay well i just got it out of aamco transmission and they told me that the reason im getting that grind is because the axle on the driver side is to much at an angle and that axles are not made to bend that much. I asked him if he had ever worked on cars with swaps in them and he said no. i then explained to him that theres many people with h22's in there civics so there has to be something i can do and he said sorry i cant help you. Im posting a couple pics so you guys can see for your selves and if anybody has done this swap and has had this problem please let me know what Im supposed to do? I was just about to order a new trans.

Attachments

• 04-14-08_1446.jpg
    04-14-08_1446.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 292
  • 04-14-08_1447.jpg
    04-14-08_1447.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 288
GTgenie: Hey guys. I had the exact same symptoms which I just verified the source. I have an EK with an H22A swap from a CL1 EuroR.

Under load or shock the car was making a sound which:

- Didn't quite fit a bad CV/axel scenario as it the boots looked fine and no knocking sounds or changes under full steering lock
- Sound was more like fast moving object grind so I immediately suspected also that the Gearbox may be twisting/churning/grinding internally but my gear selector was completely smooth during shifts and while in gear so still confused.
- My swap has an electronic power steering which was making a lot of noise so I disconnected that to help narrow down the source of the noise.

I then decided to take a very thorough look at any moving parts within the engine bay. under closer inspection I noticed there was scuff marks against the pulley connecting to the alternator and chassis.

The cause for this unusual and harsh sound was my engine mounts were busted and being a tight squeeze as it is with an H22A swap, under load the engine was twisting and eventually the pulley was grinding against the body.

Back