h22 vs. h23

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BeMyPrey

I just purchased a JDM h23a motor for my 95 Prelude SiR. Im now thinking of selling it and ordering a h22a. Any opinion as to which would be the better choice. Obviously the v-tec would have more power stock, but can i do more to the 2.3L h23? Also is there anyway to get the h22 v-tec top half on my h23 motor? Impossible or difficult?

Didn't you just ask this on h22a.org? :lol:

Anyway, here's my cut-and-pasted response:

You can do an H23/VTEC conversion. It's a little tougher than your standard LS/VTEC's of the B-series world, but definitely can be done. However, the H22 head will cost you a pretty penny, so if you really want a VTEC head, you're better off sticking with the full H22 engine.

However, there's nothing wrong with the H23. Better low-end torque, plus it's VERY friendly to being boosted.

See the pinned topic at the top of this forum for more info on the H23/VTEC.

Doing the H22 Head on a H23 I have heard is very difficult and not worth the time,
Plus the H23 bottom end is stronger is what I have read, I would take the H23 and have the head beefed up a little i.e. port and polish, valve job and that right there would give you a good 20-30whp, add turbo about 8-9 psi and you should have a good hp producing motor, my guess around 230-240whp. plus compression on the H23 is lower better for boosting. But never have done a h22 head on a h23 so really not sure how difficult.

Originally posted by 96coupeb18@Sep 29 2003, 09:14 AM
I would take the H23 and have the head beefed up a little i.e. port and polish, valve job and that right there would give you a good 20-30whp

A port-and-polish with a valve job will most definitely NOT give you 20-30 whp. More like 10 whp, tops.

However, if you meant a PnP with a full head package, i.e. cams, springs, valves, retainers, etc, then I'd believe the 20-30 whp claim.

i am 200% positive there is no jdm h23a. the equivelant to the usdm h23 is the f22b(dohc). i just hate it when people say jdm on a non jdm motor.

Originally posted by jdmlude92@Sep 30 2003, 04:55 AM
i am 200% positive there is no jdm h23a. the equivelant to the usdm h23 is the f22b(dohc). i just hate it when people say jdm on a non jdm motor.

200% positive. WOW! Thats funny, I think my car may be getting an invisible motor then. There in fact is a JDM h23, same as the JDM h22. Sorry i included the "a" after that. Didn't mean to confuse anyone.

I don't think Honda ever made an engine without a trailing letter (A, B, etc, as in an "H23"), but I'd believe your claim of an H23A existing.

remember the user Sprocker here from MT? He's doing the H23 bottom and H22 head for his boosted 2000 Accord setup. His car has been in the shop nearly two months since the normal H22a setup he wanted was junk and not strong enough.
So if you have the mechanic who can and will do the hybrid, have it done. Otherwise you can imagine the headache behind doing the vtec wiring, etc.

The jdm h23 does exsist. I got one when my old h23 got blown. The only difference i saw in the motors was that the exaust mani. was a little bigger on the jdm.

I looked in the reference section, JDM H23. Like dohcvtec_accord said, there might be an A on it.

my god you all are fools. the only h23 ever from japan was the h23 that was in one of the accord type-r's either the sir-t or the euro-r.those were stock "h23vtec's". there is no non vtec h23 in japan. they are f22b's. if you don't believe it then search and look it up. in fact go straight to honda. there is no "h23a". i had a jdm si motor. and guess what. it was an f22b. go anywhere and find out. you guys need to take that reference out of there. because the only h23 that exists, is the accord. but there is no si equivelant to the h23 in japan other than the f22b.

misinformed knowledge on the internet is a good way to fuck things up.

Back