h22 vtec engagement

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

-94-AccordH22

hi all.
i finally got my acclude up and about but vtec wont engage and the only light that is being thrown is the IAT (air temp) sensor. ill fix it when i got time.
but also the little valve cover bolts that are real easy to break. ive got 2 broke ones. and being vtec relies on Oil pressure also there is oil coming out of the holes where the valve cover bolts would be. that would be why its not engaging because at high rpm the oil in the head drops a little due to the leak at the valve cover bolt holes?

I dont think you would lose oil pressure from that, but however it would cause a hell of a mess. I would definetly take care of that. How do you know vtec is not engaging? Usually the ecu will throw a code if something is wrong. Are you sure you only have one code popping up??

yea it sure did make quite the mess. honda wants almost 30 for 2 studs, rubber washers and new caps. but its a must so whatever.
yea im pretty sure. it flashes 1 long pause 1 long. or i think its 1 long 1long.
so its either 10 or 20.

IAT or electric load detection. which i dont know what that is. yea i think my ecu is screwed, its a p13 from ebay the guy claims he "tuned it" before sending. but when im getting on it i know vtec doesnt engage becuase at around 6 when it should already be engaged it just ends as if thats the rev limit.

Electric load detection can get thrown from a faulty ground somewhere. Check the one on the thermostat housing and make sure it is clean and snug. Also check the other grounds from the transmission and valve cover. That will probably get rid of that code. It sounds like maybe the ecu you got is junk, but take care of the codes first. If it still gives problems try a virgin untouched ecu that no one has screwed up.

ok i will buy a virgin one. but yea i was reading the haynes and it said that ELD's dont throw lights. but yea ill check my grounds. i got the vtec ground on the little phillips screw right by the solenoid.

thanks man

Did you ever fix the IAT sensor? VTEC wont engage if there is a CEL. IT just raps out at 6k doesnt it? Motor gets really loud? Like from the intake manifold? Its because of the cel..

Mine had a CEL and it was loud as hell at 5-6k. Like the intake tube was off and I was running straight throttle body with nothing on it.

no i havent got around to the IAT light problem. i just got my parts from honda for my valve cover and it doesnt leak anymore so im happy. with the IACV plugged in it revs either high sometimes or fluctuating others. and with it unplugged it runs nice for a while then surges and wants to die. so now i got to. run my car and get the MIL light recorded to see what is throwing still. im sure i wired the IAT fine. but i dont know why it would throw. ill check again. thanks.

coolant pocket may be it also?!

air pocket? I doubt it, there's a bleeder screw on the thermostat housing.(or close by)

yea probably not a coolant related. im opting for my wire tuck now. i got the whole harness stripped. relocating my clutch slave to the wiper motors old location. pretty clean so far. but yea when i had the f22 still the coolant air pocket made it surge. i figured once i tuck the harness and make sure there is no CEL's it should be fine. so vtec wont engae with ANY CEL? even if its not related to the vtec systems?

The CEL light will cause nothing but problems. Before you can assume there is a problem with something else the light has to be cleared and all codes taken care of. Only then can you start looking at something else. But that CEL is definetly priority one!!!!

Back