H22a[jdm] Vs. H22a

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

panda1

wazzzup everyone! i gotz a 1992 honda prelude with a f22a1 motor. i'm wondering which swap would be more reasonable in different aspects: price, speed, and durability. I have enough money to buy anything. I was wondering a h22a[jdm] or a h22a from a 4th gen prelude. Which one?!

if anyone has anymore suggestions other than these... lemme knoe.

thanx a lot! :D

The H22A1 came in American 4th gen Ludes. 190 horsepower, 156 foot-pounds of torque.
The H22A came in Japanese 4th gen Ludes. 200 horses, 161 foot-pounds.
The H23A1 came in American 4th gen Lude Si's. 160 horses, no VTEC.

If you're planning on staying n/a, I'd recommend the JDM H22. Usually cheaper, more power. If you want to boost, get the H23.

i don't knoe too much about engines. so, wat ur saying is that the h22a[jdm] can't be turbo charged? and if i want turbo h23 is more reasonable? :huh:

Originally posted by panda1@Mar 27 2003, 08:07 AM
i don't knoe too much about engines.

No worries.

What I'm saying is....the H22 is tougher to boost, but it can definitely be done. You need to resleeve the block if you want to run forged pistons (you don't need to unless you're planning on running over 6 psi of boost) and you have to deal with tuning VTEC with turbo. The good side of boosting the H22 is, the block is a closed-deck design, which is nicer for boost.

I'd say get the H23 if you want to boost. 1/10th of a liter more displacement, and no cranky VTEC to have to tune with boost.

i gotz one more question on this topic. if you were in my position, what would you do?

If you've got the money and the knowledge (or can pay for the work), I'd say get boosted. N/A is fun, but you don't have many inexpensive options for power. Just make sure that you follow through...I mean, don't buy the H23 and then never boost it. Make sure you know what you want first.

Back