h22a swap plz help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

97mfan

I have a 1996 Honda Accord with the 4 cyl 2.2l stock engine. I am wanting to swap in a h22a engine from www.jdmcustoms.com. I am not doing it myself and I don't know much about engines so I need to know will the h22a swap directly into the stock accord engine. if not what else is needed and how hard is the swap to complete. I need to know this so I know what to tell the mechanic who will be doing the swap. He told me he needed to know these questions from someone who has done the swap before. Thanks!

i just called hmotorsonline and he said that their motors come with the obd 1-obd2 conversion, but he said custom wiring would need to be done. I am not sure what to do now becuase no one in my town, or even probably withhin 100 miles of my town would be a professional on Honda Swaps. My car is not driveable right now so I cant drive it to another townt o have the motor swapped at a professional place. Any suggestions?

did you already get your motor?
you car is ripped apart right now?

sorry man but you are a complete toolshed and utter moron...

so give me all the facts so i can try and help you out...

you really fucked this up...

do you have a motor?
tranny?
ecu?

if you got a motor, what year did you get?
is your car manual or auto?
what ecu is any did you get?

ANSWER ALL QUESTIONS TO AVOID DELAYS and making me re-ask them

sorry man. ummm i havent got a motor or anything yet. I am just looking at motors and trying to decide which one to get. Would it be easier to Go with a h23a instead of h22a for the accord since the h23a is an obd-2 already. if i went with the h22a its an obd-1 and would have to be converted to obd-2.
My car is a 1996 Honda Accord with the stock 4 cyl 2.2 liter engine. my car is not ripped apart but the fuel injector in cylinder 2 is messed up so i cant drive it and am looking just to get a new engine. I am trying to do some research and find out about these h22a and h23a enginesa nd which would be best for 1996 Honda Accord 4 cyl 2.2 liter. I thinkt he h23a would be an easier swap...right?

first off, just replace the injector so you can drive it again...

who told you its an injector anyway?

second, re: motor swaps

both the H22 and H23 came in OBD1 and OBD2 versions...

the H23 only has 160 hp, and is not worth the time and money
your single cam F22 has at least 140 hp and those motors last forever...

the H22 would be the only swap worth investing in for your car...

you can go two routes with this...
either get an H22A4 (us version of OBD2) or get a H22 OBD2 jdm motor

if you got obd1 you will need to get the converison harness and add all wires for vtec related things, such as vtec solonoid and vtec oil pressure sensor etc etc...
i don;t know much about OBD2 but i would imagine it will be much more plug and play but you will still need to add some wires for vtec etc...

you should really just replace your injector and do a lot more research
what are your goals for the car?
just to have vtec? or you just want it to be faster in general?

if you are not fiending for vtec you should look into going turbo on the F22
the sleeves can hold some intense boost pressures, and it is rumored that a DSM turbo manifold will bolt onto the F22 head with little modification...

do you have an F22B1 or F22B2?
ex? or lx/dx?

https://hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=29825

its an lx. not sure if its the f22b1 or b2. on jdmcustoms they have the h23a engine advertised as having 215 horses. Is that a misprint? I wuld jsut fix the injector, but i need a new engine the way it is becuase it uses oil after i ran the car with no oil becuase a garage forgot to put oil in the car after a service. i need a new tranny becuse the tranny leaks. I am not racing the car, but i want a new engine, with more horsepower. I called jdmcustoms and they said the h23a engine would swap directly into my car and it has 215 horses yet on hmotorsonline it says the h23 has 160 like you said. I am not going to fix the injector and then get a new engine, i am just going to get the new engine and have leave the injector unfixed and scrap the motor becuase it is crap after running itw tihout oil utnil my sensor came ona nd told me that i had no oil.

the 94-97 accord lx has the f22b2 with 130 HP and 139 FT lbs of torque...

how many miles?
how much oil does the car use?
and the shop did not put oil in it?
i call BS, the sensor should have gone off right off the bat, not miles down the road, and the shop is liable to replace your motor as they were at fault...

you have a manual or auto trans?
where is the trans leaking from?
if its the axles then just change the axle seals...
the H23 and H22 block will bolt up to the F22 tranny, its not the best gears, but if you are strapped for cash its an option...

just so you know...
AN INJECTOR IS ONLY 80-90 BUCKS BRAND NEW FROM HONDA, and all you need is a 10 or 12 mm to change it yourself...
once again i ask why you think you need an injector?

the H22 and H23 will swap directly into your car but there is more to a swap than just mounting the engine in the chassis...
the H23 vtec has 200 HP from everything i have seen and the type S only has 220, not 223...
not sure where they are getting their figures from

the H23 vtec is rather rare, and not worth the extra money, just like the h22 type s is not worth the extra money for an extra 20 horses...
if you go with an H series just get an H22, cheaper and better

do you have 2000 for the swap plus money for install labor, wiring labor? etc etc etc?
you're probably looking at close to 3500 installed...

the accord is a heavy chassis and you will more than likely not be happy with an H22 for long...
you may want to keep your savings, fix the injector, sell the car and get a diffrent chassis that can better meet your goals...

jdmcustoms.com = crap

they have the d15b listed, but then next to the d15b they have (d16y6)

there is no y6, there is a z6, or y8

i would not buy a valve stem cap from them...

Thanks for the suggestions. They told me the h22a does require a LOT of custom wiring, but that they could send me an h23a which is a OBD-2 and would swap directly into my car, no custom wiring, easy swap nothing else needed, and since the h23a is a tiptronic tranny they would send me a tranny that directly swaps into mine. I have not done any work on the car, i dont know a thing about them which is why im on here. I am not sure where the tranny leak is coming from so sorry i cannot answer that part of it, but i took it to my local honda dealership (the only one within 100 miles) and they looked at it and found out an injector on cylinder 2 is causing the engine to jerk and miss. Maybe the injector wuld only be 80-90 but the labor for them to fix it would end up costing me 200-300 they said. Its not something i can do myself as i knwo nothing about cars.

As for the oil thing, it was later that same day when the sensor came on. maybe they did put it in but forgot to screw something on tight to keep it in, i am not sure but when the sensor came on i checked it and it had NO oil in it. THis was later the same day as the service after driving an hour to another town. I was probably stupid by not going back there and demanding a new engine, but i thought since i filled all the oil back up right after the sensor came on it woudltn ahve damaged too much. and it didnt do too much damage. It uses about 2 quarts extra every 2500 miles. Not horrible.

JDM's h23a engine has 15,000 miles on it, and it is listed as 215 horses. doch vtech engine. not looking to race, just have some more power. I am strapped forcash like you said, and i can only get 6 grand out of the car and have little money to purchase another car worth driving. I have puta lot into this car with 17 inch chrome wheels, 500 dollar yokahama tires, a comlete body kit, paint job, tint job, spoiler lights everything, so i want to keep the car, get a new engine and gain horses, and im looking for an engine that will swap directly into my car with no custom stuff. They told me the h23a would do that and they would send a tranny that would directly replace mine (non tiptronic) for 2200 shipped.

if u have any other suggestions please post. THanks for the help.

your car is not wired for VTEC...
they are trying to scam you man...

no matter what motor you put in it, unless its a NON VTEC H23, you will have to do some custom wiring to make vtec work and engage properly...

injector replacement is simple...
unhook the plug, pull the fuel rail, 2 or 3 10 or 12 mm nuts, insert new injector, bolt fuel rail back down, plug in new injector...
very simple

sounds like the honda dealer just checked it over, you say nothing about them servicing it or doing anything with the oil...

JDM's h23a engine has 15,000 miles on it, and it is listed as 215 horses. doch vtech engine.
ALL scamming JDM motor sellers say the motors only have 15,000
the reality is a REPUTABLE dealer will have motors averagin between 30K-45K but none of them can give you an exact mileage unless they have the whole front clip...
and its VTEC, not vtech
and i would not trust their horse power ratings considering they are wrong on other HP ratings for motors...

Back