H22a Vtec Swap Or Non-Vtec Turbo?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xX1997XxAccord

I have a 1997 Accord. My goal isn't to be the baddest thing on the road, I just want something with a little kick. Based on cost effectiveness and reliability would it be better to put a turbo on my stock engine with an average boost setting, or would it be better to do an H22a swap. I don't really know enough people to ask for the best results. Would my stock engine be able to handle a good amount of boost to concider just the turbo?

Wow the misinformation above is kinda amazing.

The H22A7 comes with 214 hp stock. The H22A from Type S Preludes comes with more hp and more torque for a better price.

Also, you can't just "up the boost high" by "upgrading the fuel system". An H22 can handle about 6-8 psi with a moderate amount of tuning, and about 12 psi with good tuning. Any more, and you'll destroy your valvetrain and/or bottom end from those pressures. Besides, it's a good idea to upgrade the head and block when running any amount of boost anyway. Why take chances?

for reliability reasons, less headaches, and less $, just do the swap. going turbo is alot more hassle and money compared to a relatively easy engine swap with some basic bolt-ons.

<_< Thanks for all of your advice. The reason i asked on the turbo for the stock engine is because i have heard that it is better compression on the ls block. Is it possible to just buy and mount the head of an h22a on to my ls block to save $?2 more questions...... being that i have a 97 I would have to buy a obd2(96+h22a motor)? Andwould i be able to use my stock tranny with a updated clutch, or would i have to purchase a completely new one?

Thanks for all your time.
Chris

You probably have a LX block. The Accord never came in LS trim.

You're going to spend a huge amount of cash and time trying to mate an H-series head to an F-series block. If you really want dual-cam VTEC, swap for a full H-series.

You can use your F-series tranny and clutch, but the gearing is horrible for the H-series engine. You'll drop out of VTEC between shifts, and it's a slightly weaker tranny. Plus, you've got to relocate one of the mounting studs when using an F-series tranny on an H-series block. How about this: Get an H22 longblock plus tranny, then just swap the clutch over?

Thanks for all of your help dohc, but 2 more things. The advice for the switch sounds good, but wouldn't my clutch get ripped apart from the power of the 22? 2nd i also heard something floating around about putting a gsr head on the block....? any advice on that or do you think the way i should go is still the 22 swap. Just trying to be creative, i don't want to have what everyone else has if i can help it!

If you are going to do the h22 swap you might as well get the tranny with it, one place to look and order is hmotorsonline.com but call them to order. but they are hard to get a hold of at times. i dont really know about the quality of the engines but the h22 head i bought from them was in pretty good condition but i sent it out for work just to get a bit more horsepower from it. on the other hand one thing i didnt like about them is how they took some stuff off, like cutting the throttle cable from the throttlebody instead of just unhooking it. but they definately have what you are looking for. infact i think for a complete change over its $1995 plus s&h and i believe they have a %100 start up warranty

:worthy: <-------- shoot me now

Just like the thread that appeared in the Civic forum a few weeks ago (Can I Put An H22 On An LS Block?), there's just about no way to make a B-series head fit on an F-series block. Unless you're planning on showing the car rather than racing it, don't do a swap "just to be different". If you REALLY want to be different, get an F20B engine. It'll cost you a heck of alot more than an H22, but you'll be able to say "I'm different".

At least in my area, I was quite "different" having an H22 Accord. I always had people coming up to talk to me at the drag strip about it.

If you order a clutch from Clutchmasters, ACT, etc for your H22, you'll be getting the EXACT SAME clutch as you would had you ordered it for an F22. Why? Because the blocks (and moreso the trannies) are damn near identical. So don't worry about "ripping apart" your aftermarket clutch. It's been built to handle the power of the H22.

One last thing....I wouldn't refer to this as a "22 swap". You've got a 2.2L in your car already. You're swapping out an engine with the exact same displacement. They're both "22's".

Thank you once again for your words of wisdom. Now if the clutch i had now were to be stock, then i should do an upgrade on that as well correct?And can you tell me more about the f20b? Guess i know the way to go with the h22..... Just like to hear all the options, glad you keep replying doch, you seem to have all the answers,lol! :worthy:

Thanks. Guess thats the end of my thread.... other than do you have any links on ways to do the work yourself.... that would reduce my cost alot, besides i have friends who have done it and they said it's easy(almost) lol :spin:

It's a very easy swap. I did it with a couple of buddies in a long weekend.

Check out http://www.h22a.org, then click on the 5th gen link. They've got loads of info there for you.

Hit us up with any other specific questions that arise. Good luck.

That f20b motor looks sweet. I wasn't able to pull any power ratings from the page.....also you are correct it would be different, but alittle out of my price range. Lets say i had the cash to get it, would it be comparable to the h22a?

The only way in which the F20B is superior is its more highly-tuned nature (less displacement, almost as much horsepower). A JDM H22A has more power and more torque. Alternately, you could get a Type S if you never plan on boosting. Oodles of power and torque, plus an LSD transmission.

Sounds sweet, i waslooking online and the cheapest i found one was 6500$, i guess thats not too bad.... I would really like to see the engine ratings of the regular, and the type-s if you know where i could find them.

Thanks for those specs....but i was refering to the specs on the k20a, is it to new? I checked out that link you gave me but didn't see anything. heard of it in a type s as well

Back