H23 engine worth building?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Jv101

Alright so i plan to possibly be picking up a 94' Prelude with an H23 engine. I already plan to "clean" up the motor and make it look pretty. But i was also wondering if it was a decent platform for some modding/turbo'ing. Or is there a better engine/car out there that would be better for building

Any opinions/help would be great!

thanks!

That motor would be decent with a turbo setup.

Also, were the quotes around the word "clean" really necessary? Is there a joke I'm not getting here?

not sure if the quotes around clean were needed or not lol. but clean could mean something different to everyone... What I mean by it is just make it look nice (as in not dirty)... clean to someone else could mean like reabuilding it and polishing stuff up.

I believe the H23 puts out 160hp right? (correct me if I am wrong)...i would eventually like to get close to or over 200hp. Now would there be a better car to look at to do this on?

by the way the price of the prelude is $2500

Yes, the H23 puts out 160 horse at the crank. 200 horse on this motor is doable with a turbo setup. Without a turbo it's going to be more difficult. If you want to stay naturally aspirated, you might want to look towards an H22-equipped Prelude, they come from the factory with 200 horse, although that's crank horsepower, not what's going to the ground.

If the car is $2500 I'd say get it and turbo it.

yeh, most of the ones with H22 that are reasonably close that i could go look at are a little out of my price range. or have like 200k+ miles on them.

turbo wouldnt come for a while though. but what could i do to bump up the HP without turbo. and how should i build my engine to handle trubo?

If you were to build your engine for a turbo you wouldnt be making any more power then you already have stock if your not going to put on the turbo. Just do some NA upgrades like a header, cold air, better flowing intake and a good exhaust system. Save your $$ until your ready to turbo your engine. Do everything at once.

Really Blanco? What all did you do. forged internals, lower c.r.??

Back