1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

H23 engine worth building?

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by Jv101, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Jv101

Jv101 New Member

Alright so i plan to possibly be picking up a 94' Prelude with an H23 engine. I already plan to "clean" up the motor and make it look pretty. But i was also wondering if it was a decent platform for some modding/turbo'ing. Or is there a better engine/car out there that would be better for building

Any opinions/help would be great!

thanks!

2. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

That motor would be decent with a turbo setup.

Also, were the quotes around the word "clean" really necessary? Is there a joke I'm not getting here?

3. Jv101

Jv101 New Member

not sure if the quotes around clean were needed or not lol. but clean could mean something different to everyone... What I mean by it is just make it look nice (as in not dirty)... clean to someone else could mean like reabuilding it and polishing stuff up.

I believe the H23 puts out 160hp right? (correct me if I am wrong)...i would eventually like to get close to or over 200hp. Now would there be a better car to look at to do this on?

by the way the price of the prelude is $2500

4. BrutalB83

BrutalB83 Brutal Moderator Moderator VIP

Yes, the H23 puts out 160 horse at the crank. 200 horse on this motor is doable with a turbo setup. Without a turbo it's going to be more difficult. If you want to stay naturally aspirated, you might want to look towards an H22-equipped Prelude, they come from the factory with 200 horse, although that's crank horsepower, not what's going to the ground.

If the car is $2500 I'd say get it and turbo it.

5. Jv101

Jv101 New Member

yeh, most of the ones with H22 that are reasonably close that i could go look at are a little out of my price range. or have like 200k+ miles on them.

turbo wouldnt come for a while though. but what could i do to bump up the HP without turbo. and how should i build my engine to handle trubo?

6. ChrisC

ChrisC 91 civic hb

If you were to build your engine for a turbo you wouldnt be making any more power then you already have stock if your not going to put on the turbo. Just do some NA upgrades like a header, cold air, better flowing intake and a good exhaust system. Save your $$ until your ready to turbo your engine. Do everything at once.

7. ChrisC

ChrisC 91 civic hb

Really Blanco? What all did you do. forged internals, lower c.r.??

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted