Hacking PSOne Controller

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

endlesszeal

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any experince modding a PSone dual shock controller to use as an arcade controller. I googled up some stuff, but it was only specific to two series of the controller, A and the H-series. I want to open it up and solder some Happ parts to it. Thinking of using the Happ competiton stick along with the competiton buttons. Problem is, I can't find any used series A and Hs, so I was wondering which other series are there and which ones are the easiest. If anyone has any info, please reply.

Thanks.

You mean you want to create your own arcade stick by using the guts of the PS1 controller? Just rip it apart and solder your switch leads to the traces on the board that go to the button pads. Easy.

not quite. some series are more difficult because some goopy stuff covers the the copper soldering points and you have to gently scrape that off. on top of that, its really small i heard and you can easily burn a hole through the PCB itself.

ive been looking for Hseries (PSOne Dual Shock White), but no one carries those.. ive been seeing only 3rd party and i dont know how well those work.

im still searching, but once i get all my parts, i plan on constructing my own MAME cabinet. if anyone is interested, i can post some pictures and the process once i get started. it wont be for a while because im loaded with school work so probably sometime late May or early June.

Parts considering:
Self-built cabinet: 120ish
27" TV: 50ish
Happ Competition stick and buttons: 50ish
PSone Controllers: 10ish
Old Computer w/AMD 1.46ghz w/512MB laying around: Free

If I fail at hacking the PSone controllers, I'll either be getting a keywiz, which is about 30 bucks, or an I-PAC for around 50. Most of the parts will be severe scavanging because Im broke, but I want something to do with the buddies when we drink instead of card games.

Ah, I see.

Well, I guess I'm used to reworking all kinds of crazy circuit boards, so removing conformal coat and cutting/soldering traces are all cake to me. :)

Back