had a thought...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Iron 1

I've been thinking of going on a turbo d series, built for 20psi. While ordering all of my gauges I started to think about my options. If I'm planning on spending the money what's a little more for the b18? Both power and torque should be higher, but by how much, enough to make up for the extra price? The only difference in price would be for the actual motor parts, and mounts from Hasport. What would I have to do to the block for it to handle the 20psi? I wish I bought a toyota, not so many options!hahahaha

sleeves, rods, pistons. you'd have to buy the same for either build. and b-series engines have way more aftermarket support than the d-series... with good reason. get the b dude, you'll be kickin' yourself later down the road if you waste that much money on a d-series.

First rule of Turbo's. DO NOT FOCUS ON PSI. Focus on your Horsepower goals. 20psi from a stock Eclipse turbo will make the same power as a sc61 at 7 psi, is why I say this.

B18's can take WHATEVER you feel like throwing at them with a few upgrades. D series engines have a much harder time handling the power levels that the B series engine can easily take.

An LS engine (B18a/b18b) with NO internal mods with a good turbo setup and good tuning can make 350 horsepower, and be completely streetable with STOCK internals. No forged pistons, No forged rods, NOTHING. Now, like I said, that is with a good tune on a standalone engine management system. (Hondata/AEM EMS/Haltec/Motec/FAST/DFI/etc.)

I understand about the different turbo's and everything, just forgot to add it in (woops). I am thinking about a T3/4. Is sleeving really necessary for this, or will it hold out long enough to not matter. I am planning on doing a Hondata, with tuning. What kind of fuel pump, injectors, fuel regulator, pistons do you reccomend?

I think before you start looking at parts, you should look at goals. I don't mean mechanical goals (running 20 PSI or having 350 HP); I mean what are your performance goals? Street car, autocross car, drag car, track car, rally car? Each of these cars would have a different setup, and that's what has to be looked at first, before you start buying parts. Since I'm local, if you want to grab a brew and talk turbos, let me know.

I would like it to be a drag car on the weekends, but be able to turn down the boost for daily driving. It won't be driven everyday, but I would like to take it out on the nice days/weekends.

Ok, well. Then you would want a buildup closely related to my car. My car will be a whuppin' fun time car on the street, still be able to be road raced, or be really fun at track days. Autocross will probably be it's major handicap mostly because I would be in such a high class with car setup for autocross. Oh well.

I'm expecting 350ish at the wheels or more at 15-18 PSI.

Stock sleeves will hold up to this fine with good tuning.

Endyne/Wiseco, JE, Ross or CP pistons would be fine for this duty.

I'd suggest Eagle rods simply because they are CHEAP, and I really don't believe all the hype BS about breaking the rods blah blah blah.

450-550CC injectors by RC would work perfectly. I cheaped out and got some 550cc injectors for a GS-T eclipse from Venom. They plugged right into my stock injector bosses and clips. Bonus! ;)

Fuel pump. Get a good high flow pump from a KNOWN manufacturer. There are many names out there. I got one from Holley for an Eclipse GS-T because it was a drop in installation in my 91 Civic. Other years/models are different.

Keep your stock FPR unless it becomes a problem. Then look into an Aeroquip Adjustable model. They are the best on the market right now, but require some custom lines/fittings to make work.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Oct 14 2003, 02:18 AM
Jody, don't you mean Aeromotive???? i've never heard of that other place....

werd

i always thought aeroquip only made fittings...

It's late. Yeah. Aeromotive. Aeroquip is who I source most of the fitting for my cars through. Sorry... You know... The mind is the first thing to go. ;)

where is the best place to get these parts that Sir kid suggested? I was thinking of going with a 255lph Warlbro fp. what about Crower rods? What is a fpr, Fuel pressure regulator? 350hp to the wheels, what 1/4 times are you looking for? It will be so nice when This is all done, no more Questions!

Originally posted by Iron 1@Oct 15 2003, 12:38 AM
where is the best place to get these parts that Sir kid suggested? I was thinking of going with a 255lph Warlbro fp. what about Crower rods? What is a fpr, Fuel pressure regulator? 350hp to the wheels, what 1/4 times are you looking for? It will be so nice when This is all done, no more Questions!

Shop around. www.groupbuycenter.com is a good place to start. Look for good deals. Crower rods are very good, but they are very proud of them, and the price reflects that. FPR is a fuel pressure regulator. The Walbro pump is an excellent choice. There is almost ALWAYS a group buy on for them, as well.

BEWARE: Buying second hand parts can be you buying someone elses problems, though. Be careful.

350 at the wheels SHOULD put me in the mid 12 on drag radials, and HOPEFULLY i the mid 11's on slicks if I ever run them. I don't like breaking motor mounts.

Also, you will NEVER be done with your car, unless you get sick of it and quit. It's an ongoing project that you mold to what you want.

Back