happy chinese new year.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

<-- doesnt like any oriental food :yuck: :ph34r:

i remember going to that shit in elementary school, my friends parents owned a big chinese restuarant..theyd invite my fam and id get those little red evelopes with money inside!! lol i remember hed make out with like 600 dollars.

77 is a Snake year- were you born in January?

The numbers are for the tones... Chinese is a tonal language with 5 different tones that can be applied to each word. Example- you can say the sound "ba" in a short monotone you're saying "father", but if you say it like you're asking a question, it can mean "pull".

Originally posted by StarBellieAngel+Feb 9 2005, 01:08 PM-->
similar to vietnamese?
[post=458613]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, I guess. I think Vietnamese is tonal, right?

Blanco
@Feb 9 2005, 04:17 PM
Febuary 6th. :p

My girlfriend has a shitload of astrology books including Western, Eastern and Vedic astrology. They're in storage at the moment but I seem to remember that I was born about a week before Year of the Snake. Basically, I was born on the Dragon side of the cusp.

Cool. I was about to say "you're wrong" but then I thought about it and was like "duh". :)

That's pretty cool and what I was thinking. I think I'll just stick with Japanese though. :lol:
[post=458718]Quoted post[/post]​

:thumbsup:

Any Asian language is extremely difficult to learn, especially Japanese and Chinese. You MUST remember and learn AT LEAST 200 kanji words to even read the damn newspaper. And as Calesta said, its for tonal. You mean to say something, but if you dont use the right accent or tone, itll be totally different. FOr example, if you say "Ja-eh" with the "eh" part going up, it means deer. If you say the "eh" part going down, it means dick (penis).
As for sashimi, its not a fish (yellow tail tuna). Its the process of slicing the fish and spreading them on top of the sushi rice or over daikon. Sushi in it self refers to the rice, not the actually fish. There are many different types of sushi, if its on top of the rice and shaped like an oval, its nigiri. if its rolled up, there are different types like gunkan, ship, and hand rolls. Anyway, sushi is still the bomb and i love udon noodles.
"Real" Chinese food is WAY different from resturant. Its a lot more vegetables and the food usually doesnt look appetizing but is really good. But i still like both.
And finally as for the Chinese New Year, youre not allowed to spend money or ull be doomed to be broke for the reminder of the year. So you give out money in red envelopes, usually a 20, to bring luck and karma. You drink alot and eat a lot. You offer food to your dead family members and to gods, usually peach because its a holy fruit that symbolizes longevity and fertility.
Last but not least, Itedakemasu and Gong Hoy Fat Choy.

Originally posted by endlesszeal@Feb 11 2005, 03:47 PM
Last but not least, Itedakemasu and Gong Hoy Fat Choy.
[post=459705]Quoted post[/post]​

:werd:

I don't know about needing only 200 words to read the newspaper- I know way more than that, and I still can't hack the Chinese paper! :lol: :blink: :eek: :ph34r:

Back