hard drive woes

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

YouKnowWhoIBee

my avatar is better.
Hey i have a dell laptor wth a 40 gb harddrive. When i bought it 5 months ago i thought it would be enough... well i was wrong. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for an external harddrive. Like what brands to look for and what size and stuff like that. I know my way around computers but i want to get some more opinions before i go out and buy one. Thanks in advance... :D

Maxtor has some of the highest value external drives out right now. I would go with either Maxtor or Western Digital... just find one that fits in your price range. Get a USB2 drive.

usb2? I dont know what you mean? Could you elaborate? Is it just a normal usb port? probably have heard and delt with this term and over looked it to be just a normal usb.

Maxtor's externals have a 16ms seektime, the iomegas have a 9ms average seek time. they are the same price, and iomega has the same warranty. theres no reason not to.

USB2.0 is a faster version of usb1.0. Chances are if your computer was made in the past 2 or 3 years it has usb2. 2 and 1 use the same plug- its just faster.

Better yet if your laptop has IEEE 1394 (firewire) get
400Mb/s transfer rates, you'd never know it was an external drive.

and screw buying an all in one package do what I did.
buy a firewire case , and a harddrive , so in the future you can buy another larger drive and put it in the case.

BYTECC 5.25" IEEE 1394 External Enclosure $35

120 GB Maxtor $80

So for $115 you've got yourself 120GB of extra storage space. plug it in and it will apear as another hard disk on your system

If you need more room buy a bigger drive

USB2 is actually faster than FireWire, but one advantage of a FireWire setup is that it's more portable to Macs, and you can boot off it on more machines than you can on USB2. I haven't been on a PC that supposed a USB drive as a boot device yet.

wow, 480Mbits/second. not to shabby for USB, but I have USB 1.1 is why I opted for firewire.

and yes I like firewire, I'm using it on a laptop for a guy here at the office.
and it works just fine.

Back