Harness mounting gone aray

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

BlackFrog

Neighborhood Lush
VIP
My project for the day was supposed to be to remount my Sabelt's in some form resembling the correct way to do it. So i get some 2200 pound W.L. eye hooks, and set out to drill through the floor and install those with some mondo washers to spread out the load a bit (this is for the 2 lap belts). Ofcourse after looking under the car, Honda was nice enough to run the fuel lines directly under where the mounting bolt closest to the center of the car would go. So much for an easy 1/2 hour job, i'm left scratching my head. Anyone got any ideas?

-Chris

Drill into the exhaust tunnel, thats what I have done and I have seen a few other SCCA and NASA Hondas done that way and they seem to be OK. Make sure you use locking washers instead of nylocks since the plastic will melt in a nylock and use the same grade or better washers.

Edit: I hope you are using plates inder the bolts not washers. Get some aluminum 1/8 inch aluminum and cut plates, washers are not thick enough IMO. Remember this is holding your ass in the car in the even of a severe impact, so don't cheap out.

Originally posted by nfn15037@Feb 18 2005, 06:39 PM
Drill into the exhaust tunnel, thats what I have done and I have seen a few other SCCA and NASA Hondas done that way and they seem to be OK. Make sure you use locking washers instead of nylocks since the plastic will melt in a nylock and use the same grade or better washers.

Edit: I hope you are using plates inder the bolts not washers. Get some aluminum 1/8 inch aluminum and cut plates, washers are not thick enough IMO. Remember this is holding your ass in the car in the even of a severe impact, so don't cheap out.
[post=462912]Quoted post[/post]​

ya don't use aluminum get an oversized grade 8 washer they measure out at
2 1/2 " across

There is nothing wrong with using aluminum plates as long as you use good quality stock and you chamfer the edges. A 2.5" washer is too small IMO for this application. Maybe a washer in addition to the plate but a 2.5 inch washer would tear right through the chassis sheetmetal in a big impact. Remember, this is your ass it is holding in the seat, over-engineering is what you want not the bare minimum.

well 2.5 inches on the side of the exhaust hump or right where stock seat belts are located is more than enough

Back