has anybody heard of Ardena Carter??

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

adidas_man

Honorary Honda Driver
probably not to many people have heard of Ardena Carter. She disappeared September 11, 2003 in Georgia. Her body was found in December of 2003. she was 6 months pregnant when she disappeared. The unborn child's bones were found along with her bones. you may ask what is the big deal. Adena Carter was an African American. My question is, why hasn't anybody heard of her?? Yet Laci Peterson was all over the news the day she disappeared in 2002 and hasn't left the news since. To me both of these women have very similar situations they are both young pregnant women that disappeared and have been found dead. Why has Laci gotten all of the media attention and Ardena hasn't gotten any??
In no way am i racist or anything like that, (i'm part white, black and italian) but in order for you to have any impact in this country, you must be white; it is a very sad but true fact.

here is another example:
Evelyn Hernandez who was also pregnant disappeared May 7, 2002. her body was found decapitated in the exact same bay that Laci Peterson's body was found. the police have a suspect in the case, her boyfriend at the time(who has since married) but no media coverage on this case. her son and unborn baby have yet to be found.

It just shows you how racist and bias the media is. now i know this topic is going to get hot an heated, and its probably going to open up a can that shouldn't be opened. but things like this need to be noticed.

The Peterson case was much more popular because it was an attractive middle class family that the majority of viewers could identify with.

it has nothing to do with racism. its the situation in itself. besides the fact that the media cant possibly cover every murder story, some situations are just more appealing to others. this is so apealing to americans because they were the "perfect american family". then with facts such as scott's affair with someone else, his changing identities and everything else, it just draws even more attention. another thing is location. modesto, CA is a bit more popular then bum fuck, GA.

and with the other case in the same area, maybe they didnt cover it for the sole fact that the body was never found. the case ran cold, end of story. no one will want to see the same shit happen on tv over and over without progress. and anyway both cases must have gotten some media coverage, otherwise you wouldnt know about them to start this thread, you live no where near either of them.

in the end its all about money, like everything else. not everything is "a racist conspiracy to hold the black man down". the media will put more effort and money into something that they know will make them more money.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Dec 18 2004, 08:32 PM

in the end its all about money, like everything else. not everything is "a racist conspiracy to hold the black man down". the media will put more effort and money into something that they know will make them more money.
[post=434319]Quoted post[/post]​

Bottom line this is it, the media is made up of corporations with the primary goal of turning a profit, in my opnion, this is one of the scarier elements of capitalism

gallery_3_9_1103435305.jpg

gotta love how google uses words from the thread to run ads =)

Maybe some of it's the media, but the local neighborhoods need to care about the lives of the people who live there. Laci Peterson was married, white and pretty... and from a middle class background. People don't expect that sort of thing to happen to people of that background. Now on the other two... both unmarried and probably living in neighborhoods with high crime rates and more visibly dysfunctional families. Therefore the shock value of their murders is lessened and it's not so much a media event.

I watch my local news almost every day and follow the local tragedies that never make it to the national news level. Some crimes are sadly too common. Why report about Adena Carter when we have our own unsolved murders? Also the Laci Peterson story had some bizarre story developments and her husband was finally brought to trial.... so that was interesting to report for the last year. The Ardena Carter story became a cold case and fell from her local public view.

So I don't think it racial so much as what general slice of society they came from and how the case develops storyline-wise (unusual). For instance, I care more about cars stolen in my town, than those stolen in the city (Boston). It's a common occurance in Boston and certain surrounding urban areas, but a rare occurance in my area.
*knocks on wood*

this is why i never put much into what the media has to say. they never tell the story from a fair and unbiased position. with big companies paying them, and human opinion, how can they? if you want to know what really happened, or if you want to form your own opinion, don't just listen to media, do your OWN research.

about those women... i did hear of the second lady, they finally covered her story, making a point much like yours... about how laci got all the attention. think about Scott's family too... they're RICH. i'm sure, that had a lot to do with how quickly the news went worldwide. when i first heard the laci story, i talked to a few people about it, but they had no idea who she was. one week later, EVERYONE knew about it.

it just depends... and sadly, it's NEVER fair... and of course, they can't cover EVERY murder, disappearance, rape... etc. and here in the bay area, a lot of the time, the cases they cover aren't whites... maybe that's just for the 'high profile' cases, or ones that go national?

Also the Laci story became a surreal reality drama show, I don't think that people really cared that much more for her and her family than Ardena's. I think for those who really care about "cold cases" and solving them, that tv show America's Most Wanted is good to watch and they feature cases from ALL walks of life. Those Amber Alerts are also a good thing, but sometimes people get concerned should that system gets overused and then not taken with such urgency. When the novelty wears off, the public gets bored and becomes complacent. Otherwise, general media coverage doesn't help solve the cases so much as it's local interest filler between the national stories and the weather reports (ooo... Stormcenter 5!!).

didnt Laci work for the government too?
thats maybe why it was on the news and stuff more...
Im sure if Laci was african american they would have had it on the news just as much.

Yeah its always the white mans fault. :(

I think one of the reasons it made the new is that it was so obvious that he did it. I only heard about it after he was caught near the Mexico border with all that cash and the dyed hair. He was convicted in the media before he made it to court which is fine with me since I think he did it.

If this had worked the other way with the Petersen case ignored and the Ardena Carter case getting national press then it would be racist because the media convicted a black man before he went to court.

America is one of the least racist countires in the world. We have a lot of minorities, which most countries dont have, and we actively integrate them into our society. We try harder to be non racist than anyone in the world. And because we set our standards so high we are judged harshly.

Most likely as college students you have been programmed by your liberal professors to hate your country. Please fight against this. America is the best thing that has happened for minorities.

Originally posted by Mighty@Dec 19 2004, 06:20 PM
Most likely as college students you have been programmed by your liberal professors to hate your country. Please fight against this. America is the best thing that has happened for minorities.
[post=434509]Quoted post[/post]​

Nope. Why on earth did you think that? And yes I do love and appreciate this country very very much. This is also the best place on earth for women too... but one still needs to put some effort to into acquiring useful knowledge/job skills and having good presentation skills in order to be successful. I think that there are too many lazyass people in this country that don't take advantage of American opportunities for advancement.

<---- Chinese female born here.

Originally posted by 94RedSiGal+Dec 19 2004, 07:02 PM-->
@Dec 19 2004, 06:20 PM
[post=434509]Quoted post[/post]​

Nope. Why on earth did you think that? And yes I do love and appreciate this country very very much. This is also the best place on earth for women too... but one still needs to put some effort to into acquiring useful knowledge/job skills and having good presentation skills in order to be successful. I think that there are too many lazyass people in this country that don't take advantage of American opportunities for advancement.

<---- Chinese female born here.
[post=434521]Quoted post[/post]​

Well I wasnt specifially talking to you otherwise I would have replied to your posts.

Just from purely anecdotal evidence, college kids are pretty liberal. And I would assume they are learning it in college. Also I read www.frontpagemag.com which I will admit is a conservative website.

Originally posted by GSRCRXsi@Dec 18 2004, 11:32 PM
"perfect american family.

can you descibe to me the "perfect american family"?? and what is that based on?? who says the perfect american family isn't a homeless family living in their broke down car right down the street from you. everything is based on "middle class white americans" although adrdena carter wasn't married, who here can say that she wasn't inspired to do something good with her life, raise a child and try to work herself into the "perfect american family" status if she wasn't already.

another thing is location. modesto, CA is a bit more popular then bum fuck, GA.

well if location is a big thing for you, reread my first post. the second lady was killed in the same location as laci perterson, and her body was dumped in the same bay as laci perterson.

and with the other case in the same area, maybe they didnt cover it for the sole fact that the body was never found. the case ran cold, end of story. no one will want to see the same shit happen on tv over and over without progress. and anyway both cases must have gotten some media coverage, otherwise you wouldnt know about them to start this thread, you live no where near either of them

with the other case, the lady's body was found, she was decapitated like i said in the original post. they haven't found her son, or her unborn baby. i never seen either of the cases on the news, i was speaking with people at work and this was the topic about how certain people get news coverage and others don't. i came across this site http://www.omega7.com/html/MissingKids.html and read about different missing people. thats how i found out about the two cases.

actually i love my country. love it so much i joined the military. and i agree with you, that america is the least racist country. but there is still a lot, and i do mean a lot of racism in this country. what do you think will happen if in the next presidential election a male of any ethnicity besides white runs for president. if he happens to survive through the election, and then wins, he'll be dead before he can take office. that is a sad but true fact.

that is once again my 2 cents.

Originally posted by Mighty@Dec 19 2004, 07:40 PM
Well I wasnt specifially talking to you otherwise I would have replied to your posts.

Just from purely anecdotal evidence, college kids are pretty liberal. And I would assume they are learning it in college. Also I read www.frontpagemag.com which I will admit is a conservative website.
[post=434534]Quoted post[/post]​

I realize that, but these threads are mostly converstionally casual in structure. I just don't think that any of my college professors programmed me to think any differently about life. As a female, I am probably more sensitive to you (as a male) about these situations of domestic violence. I'm sure that all of these slain women who knew their attackers, thought them okay people in the beginning. It's just important to know when to ditch a bad relationship. And it's never a good idea to have children out of wedlock or too early in life. Having children too early can really hurt a women's potential for a decent life. Some of these women with kids feel trapped and that they have to stay in a bad abusive relationship just to have a place to stay and food for their kids heads.

Well sometimes I am not too sympathetic for what happens to these women (including Laci) as they shouldn't place such a high priority on having just any man (even a bad one) in their lives and wanting to settle down (have kids with them) too early in life, instead of getting a better education and working on themselves first and being more independent (emotionally and financially) as a functioning human being. I was mildly facinated with the Laci story for her husband having a gf, dying his hair and all the other stuff his did. I suppose it was like watching a real life Columbo episode and wondering if there would be enought circumstantial evidence to persude a jury to convict him. Otherwise, I really didn't care more for Laci than any other victim female or male in the news.

Media is censored. They choose what to tell you and when to tell you. It's all about ratings.

Originally posted by adidas_man+Dec 19 2004, 07:42 PM-->
what do you think will happen if in the next presidential election a male of any ethnicity besides white runs for president.
[post=434536]Quoted post[/post]​

What do I think will happen? I think nothing out of the ordinary will happen. Assassination attempts on the president are actually pretty common. Kennedy, Ford and Reagan all had assassination attempts. I dont think it has anything to do with racism.

adidas_man
@Dec 19 2004, 07:42 PM
if he happens to survive through the election, and then wins, he'll be dead before he can take office. that is a sad but true fact.
[post=434536]Quoted post[/post]​

This is not a fact. And what is sad is that you think its true. I agree that its bad to assume things are better than they are but its also bad to assume that they are worse than they are.

Racism is a problem we need to fight everyday but the major battles have been won. Things are better than you imply.

Oh yeah and part of this apathy is from seeing so many people (some that I know personally) who live these soap opera lives. Then there are the public soap operas like OJ and Nicole Simpson. The dramas continue and we all get desensitized. The first case has the most shock value. Does anyone really care about the current case with Robert Blake in it? I sure as hell don't. And don't we all know people that are having some stormy relationship with some loser and get tired of telling them to dump the said loser and move on with their lives? And getting involved never helps and it's actually up to them to make the changes in their lives. Maybe Laci didn't see the signs that her husband wasn't in love with her any longer. And maybe she would be alive and divorced if she hadn't gotten pregnant. Maybe her husband didn't want to pay for child support. Most bad relationships never get physically ugly, but sometimes they do.... it's a very sad but a common event of human nature and life.

What do I think will happen? I think nothing out of the ordinary will happen. Assassination attempts on the president are actually pretty common. Kennedy, Ford and Reagan all had assassination attempts. I dont think it has anything to do with racism.

yes very true those presidents have been assasinated or have had attempts. But we have had what 40+ presidents and only 4 of them have been assasinated. that isn't a "pretty common" occurance. of course you can't say that doesn't have anything to do with racism, they were all white. how can it be racism.

This is not a fact. And what is sad is that you think its true. I agree that its bad to assume things are better than they are but its also bad to assume that they are worse than they are.

i don't think they are worse than they are, i know how bad racism is. i know how much better it has gotten than in the past. i live about 15 minutes away from probably one of the biggest racist towns in missouri. do you think that America is ready for a non-white president. look at what happened to all of the arabic americans after the attacks on sept 11th. that was pure racism at its heaviest. i'm not implying that there is a lot of racism, nore am i implying that there isn't any racism. you say the major battles have been won. what were the major battles if i may ask??

I totally agree that These people didn't get covered because they were Black.

Like I said earlier, Tupac... Not even LOOKING for his killer.

Racism goes both ways though, never think that color-hate is a one way street.

-> Steve

Back