Hatch fails to restart in110 degree heat.

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

d.b.cooper

Mid-life Crisis Swap
Ive got a 92 EG. B18C1. Car Starts, runs fine, no codes. Occaisionally (4 times so far) it has failed to start, cranks, feels right just doesnt fire, as if no fuel or no spark.

Each time it started fine the first time.

Each time it was middle of the hot afternoon when the street or driveway temp is probably over 130.

Each time I started it drove it a short distance, like just to the curb, while juggling cars in the driveway Or left on an errand and came back quickly. Then I turned off car.

Within a few minutes I tried to restart, and nothing. It acts somewhat like a vaporlocked carburated car. I tried on a hunch spraying down the engine compartment especially fuel lines to cool them, while careful to avoid geting electrical, plugs dist etc wet. No help.

If I leave it alone and come back in a couple of hours starts right up.

Ideas? I'm wondering if fuel pump is getting weak? Fuel filter restriction some how blocked more with pressure from heat?

because it is so hot...most likely your main relay is going out....if i was u i would try and replace the main relay....it is located above the hood latch popper inside the car....its tucked under the dash near the lever....replace it and it should start fine everytime....usually high heat causes the sauder in the relay to swell and then when it cools down they crack and lose connection...just replace it and ur good;)

:werd:

Swap out your main relay and smile at you're fixed car.

If you are mechanically inclined and can solder, you can just re-solder the stock unit.

Before replacing the MR have a freind flick it with his finger while you turn the key to trip the relay.

thanks. does the main relay send power to the fuel pump, the ECU, both or neither?

new OEM Honda one? or does it matter?

it sends power to the fuel pump.....get a nice oem honda one....its gunna be around 40-50 bucks but well worth it...check ebay if ur in no rush;)

werd to MR...ive had to replace them in 2 hondas this summer....i coulda soldered new, but im lazy and i didnt like either person.

monday was the only day it was below 100 on the way home from work.

What I don't get is why it only happens on a warm engine if its the MR. I have the same problem and I'm sure it's the MR...just wierd that it's ALWAYS on a warm engine.

id say its more likely its the main relay now. The fuel pump doesnt need a LOT of power, so for some reason the relay will work until you turn off the engine. The second you try to start it again, itll just crank and crank, but no start.

The heat from the engine easily penetrates the cabin and causes the solder to open up.

From what i have noticed of the main relays I have to swap out is the ones manufactured in mexico fail alot more than the japanise ones.

really? japanesse products are higher quality than mexican? No............

lol

but yeah, this has main relay written all over it.

i don't mean to thread jack, but could a main relay cause the car to die and then not be able to start again?

yes, its possible, but it usually just doesnt start once you turn off the engine. If you dont here the fuel pump kick on when you turn the key to on (not start) then thats usually a sign.

Thanks all.

I am constantly amazed how easilly you guys troubleshoot. I always search and read a lot first, and I still feel like my symptoms are too vague and arent nearly enough information for anyone to have any idea. but no, Bam, you guys nailed it immediately. I would have fumbled around forever before I even thought of the relay.

I always think of the worst most obscure problem first. Its an ADD thing.

Definately is it. I can hear the fuel pump not turn on. havent gotten around to changing it out but I tried the flick it with the finger method suggested and darned if it didnt work!

AMazing..

Thanks again.

Phoenix area..

VTECin5th said:
I didn't know we had another phoenix guy :D

Technichally, Mesa, but I drive a lot, most of my work lately seems to be West Phoenix.

That Champion White 92 EG you couldn't quite catch in traffic was likely me...j/k!

OP : go to radio shack or some place similar and have the relay re soldered, you can save $60, the relay most likely has dry sockets. I was expierencing this with my B16a, had it resolderd and it hasn't happened since.

who ever said car would die and not restart, to me this sounds like a coil going bad

gl to all

sleepercivic said:
OP : go to radio shack or some place similar and have the relay re soldered, you can save $60, the relay most likely has dry sockets. I was expierencing this with my B16a, had it resolderd and it hasn't happened since.

who ever said car would die and not restart, to me this sounds like a coil going bad

gl to all

yea, we ended up replacing the distributor. main relay was fine.

Back