having engine problems

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crxnoobie

i just got a starter today, installed it right after i got home. I started my car, its jumped right to life no problems drove it for about 10 minutes, then for some reason unknown to me it shuts off, didnt start up for about 30 mins, (after the engine complete cooled off. Also there was no reading on the temperature gauge, like it wasnt registering anything from the sensor, i checked the actual sensor, and i noticed that there was only one prong there i dont know if theres suppost to be 2 or not. Another thing, my ecu is putting out two error codes, 6 and 15, any help will be greatly appreciated, i really want to drive me car for more than five minutes lol, thank.

Did the car shut off by itself while you were driving it or when it was sitting. It may be a main relay since it took about 30 minutes before it started again...someone correct me if I'm wrong. As for the ECU codes. 6 is your water temp. sensor and 15 is your ignition output signal. Hope this helped a little bit

yea it might be the main relay. on my crx the relay goes out some times because it gots a bad termianl or switch in it. i just shake it a little and the relay will work fine again lol. am getting a new one.

main relay? sorry i have no idea what that is, im only 17 and dont have much experience with automobiles lol but im learning.

since you have a code 15 (ignition output signal) this would indicate to me that it has an igniter that is failing - the igniter is inside the distributor and is very easy to change - the code 6 is for the coolant temperature sensor that supplies info to the ECU - it is located on the end of the head below the distributor and has a 2-wire connector - red with white stripe and green with white stripe wires - there is also another temperature sensor next to it which is for the temp gauge - it has a 1-wire connector - yellow with green stripe wire - the one causing the code 6 is the 2-wire sensor

yeah i already fixed the code 6 error, it seemed what ever dumbass worked on it last broke the one prong sensor that looks like a little spark plug, i guess they hit it with a wrench or something, and the 2 prong connector looked like someone tried to force it in and bent one of the metal connections into the other one, but as for the ignitor, is that what could be making the car start up fine, then die not soon after, my dads theory was that the fuel filter is bad after having sat so long and it has grime and laqured gas stuck in it, and its only letting enough gas through to start the engine and keep it running for as long as it has the gas, this made sense to me as the time it stayed started varied. but i wont know until i get a new one.

okay well I replaced the fuel filter and it didnt fix the problem. Any suggestions as to what I should do next?

Back