Having idle problems, idle keeps surging

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

91civicsiracer

Ok heres the deal. I changed my tps sensor, changed the eacv, checked for vacuum leaks, checked the ecu, changed the o2 sensor, new fuel filter, new coil, timing seems to be fine, almost brand new nology hotwires, and just about every other possible thing besides changing the fuel pump. The engine kept surging from 1500 rpms to 1000 and when it droped it felt like it was going to die sometimes. The strange thing is that it ran ok as long as you were going, though it felt like it had lost some power. Even stranger is that when you would unplug the tps sensor it would stop surging but it would lose power, thats why I changed it but still the same thing, the wiring is fine its getting the proper voltage and the new sensor is at the right resistance. Now its difficult to get it to start, if you let the rpms drop down to idle speed then it sputters and dies. It seems like its not getting enough fuel, I could be wrong though. The problem has gotten progressively worse over time, from losing a little power to now not running without pressing the gas pedal and keeping the rpms up. So tell me what yall think it may be cause Ive just about given up on it. My best guess as of now is that the pump is going out

prob not fuel pump...

check the voltages on your tps...
maybe you just need to adjust it

The firing order is ok, I wish it were that simple... well Ill check the resistance on the tps sensor to see if it needs to be adjusted

Well Im just going to take my car to the honda dealership and see if they can figure it out. It could be too many things causing the problem

I am having the same problem with my car right now. my friends are telling me that it is the vacuum hoses aren't hook up correctly. Chances are that is what the problem is.

The vaccum hoses are hooked up correctly, I know this for a fact because it ran fine for months and now its not. I cant find any vaccum leaks

my friends all told me that it was vacuum lines, over and over, and I was sure that mine were hooked up correctly. I changed ecus, and it never idled like it did(surging idle) again.

well my teacher told me about coolant temperature sensor. ive been having problems with running rich and some codes popping up. he said thats a common overlooked part.

well, does it always surge? or is it only during warmup?
I know that for the longest time I was dealing with a constant fluxuating idle, and after racing my IACV, throttle body (with new tps), and a few things from my coolant system i finally happened on the fast idle thermo valve (FITV). Its located right under the throttle body and has a few coolant hoses running to it. Went to a junkyard and snagged one for ten bucks, worked perfectly after that.

well, I think that I may have figured out what the problems is fellas. The coil keeps burning out so obviously there is something in the distributor that keeps shorting it out so I am taking the dist. off my old motor and swapping it out. It idled like that all the time though, now it wont run or crank at all because the coil is burnt out again. Looks like I finally found the solution to the problem. thanks for all the input guys.

ur engine should crank even if the coil is bad....
just wont start(no spark)

Sorry I worded that wrong, but it would turn over just no spark. turns out though that it was a combination of a faulty integra ecu and the distributor was frying the coil. I would like to get a hold of the bitch that ripped me off on that ecu, but I am glad to have it running again. Cant complain too much at least I can go places in it now. Thanks for all the input guys B)

Back