having real bad luck..need help

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

CRXSI91

OK....heres the deal :

1.I have a D15b7 engine in my 1991 crx si
2. Im running that engine with the stock pm6...the car is still obd0
3. I bought a D16z6 head....

now heres where the problems started :

-I got people telling me,i dont need an ecu to run that head on my car
- Then i got people telling me,they can run a wire to it,and run vtec
- Then i got people telling me,I need a p28 ecu

So i bought the P28,because the shop that put the b7 in there,told me,that it was already wired for obd1...turns out,it wasnt..also turns out,the p28 that was sold to me...was an automatic ecu...i dont have the tools,nor knowledge,to convert it..so im currently trying to get my money back...but anyways

Now the shop tells me..in order to run the head (INSTEAD of converting to obd1),they can get a jdm vtec ecu (i dont know which one,fill me in someone)...and just plug it up,and run the head...and they are talking about,it will cost 600 bucks to do it...

i dont know what the fuck to do anymore,its pissing me off,people in the car industry,or the car hobby..are never honest..whether its talking about "What do u have under your hood" or mechanics...so can someone please tell me what i should do from this point on.

u can use the jdm b16 ecu p06 i think it is but im not sure but the jdm b16 one will work for ur mini me- or else i would just use ur stocker ecu and vafc -tell ur shop duma- 600 for an ecu is out right rip off

does 600 include the head swap, ecu, and hooking it all up?

the ecu is a pr3, or pw0, both are OBD0 jdm tec ecu's
(hint: check the REFRENCE section on this site for ecu listings...)

you have three choices

VAFC

OBD0 ecu

or OBD0->OBD1 wire harness conversion with a P28

jdmshit.com has the cheapest conversion harness last time i checked

check out pgmfi.org for how to convert the ecu from manual to auto
you only need to remove one jumper, or at least thats what i remember from when i was researching it...

okay, you need an ecu from 92-95 Civic Si, 92-95 Civic Ex, or 93-95 Del Sol Si. You also need a converion harness of some sort(vtecfrog.com), or wire it yourself. You need to wire up all the vtec components "How to wire vtec" article and i think thats it.

Dont use a b16 ecu, becuase vtec will be off, as well as several other things, dont use a stock crx ecu cuz it doesnt have vtec, dont use an automatic ecu cuz you will have a check engine light for the auto tranny.

Originally posted by reckedracing@Dec 13 2004, 03:09 PM
does 600 include the head swap, ecu, and hooking it all up?

the ecu is a pr3, or pw0, both are OBD0 jdm tec ecu's
(hint: check the REFRENCE section on this site for ecu listings...)

you have three choices

VAFC

OBD0 ecu

or OBD0->OBD1 wire harness conversion with a P28

jdmshit.com has the cheapest conversion harness last time i checked

check out pgmfi.org for how to convert the ecu from manual to auto
you only need to remove one jumper, or at least thats what i remember from when i was researching it...
[post=431401]Quoted post[/post]​

ok,im interested in the VAFC route...so if i bought a Apexi VAFC..i wouldnt need a conversion harness,or a p28???

and as far as removing the jumper...i researched it..its rp17,that u have to remove..but it says run a jumper across rp18..but i already opened up my ecu,and rp18 already has a jumper running across it..Is the jumper,that tiny little thing that goes across the pad??

yep.

here's what you need to do it the RIGHT way. it CAN be done all 3 ways you mentiond- problem is the other two methods just outright suck.

p28 ecu.
obd0->1 conversion harness to allow the p28 to plug in
obd1 distributor, injectors, and remove/bypass the resistor box (or, use your stock crx injectors and leave the resistor box in)
run the wires for vtec, vtec pressure, and you will need to re-wire the distributor plugs.

ohh yea,the 600 includes swapping heads,and getting the ecu,and wiring it up

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 13 2004, 04:04 PM
yep.

here's what you need to do it the RIGHT way. it CAN be done all 3 ways you mentiond- problem is the other two methods just outright suck.

p28 ecu.
obd0->1 conversion harness to allow the p28 to plug in
obd1 distributor, injectors, and remove/bypass the resistor box (or, use your stock crx injectors and leave the resistor box in)
run the wires for vtec, vtec pressure, and you will need to re-wire the distributor plugs.
[post=431443]Quoted post[/post]​

iight b...so am i better off just getting a conversion harness,and converting my p28 to a manual..cus from what ive seen when i opened the ecu up..all i have to do is remove rp17...because rp18 already has a "jumper" running across it...correct me if im wrong.

ohh yea,another question,how does the VAFC work..cus if the head isnt plugged up to the wiring harness..i guess its plugged up to the VAFC?? lol im clueless..so bare with me...i try to do as much research as i can.

im not an ecu guy- so i really don't know. personally, i'd sell the auto on ebay and pick up a manual. pills has documented the converion here: http//www.hondaswap.com/~pills/ if you want to try it your self.

vafc wires in by the ecu. no sensor is physically "ran" to thee vafc. and you dont NEED one to make this work.

Originally posted by pissedoffsol@Dec 13 2004, 04:25 PM
im not an ecu guy- so i really don't know. personally, i'd sell the auto on ebay and pick up a manual. pills has documented the converion here: http//www.hondaswap.com/~pills/ if you want to try it your self.

vafc wires in by the ecu. no sensor is physically "ran" to thee vafc. and you dont NEED one to make this work.
[post=431457]Quoted post[/post]​

lol sorry if im not catching on quick enough...but yea..what method would u use...would u just go ahead and get a conversion harness,and wire the car for obd1....because later on,i want to use hondata..so it would make sense to convert now...let me know what you think i should do...not necessarily the "less cost" way..but more so the Smart way..cus when it comes to cars..your gonna put out some money period.

Originally posted by CRXSI91@Dec 13 2004, 04:10 PM
ohh yea,another question,how does the VAFC work..cus if the head isnt plugged up to the wiring harness..i guess its plugged up to the VAFC?? lol im clueless..so bare with me...i try to do as much research as i can.
[post=431451]Quoted post[/post]​

For what you are doing get PR3 or PWO its going to be cheaper, you are not going to be putting down a shit load of HP. So why spend alot of money. I ran a PR3 with my d16 z6 works fine. A little rich, definately at idol but thanks to the VAFC I scooped from B. I fixed that.

those are both obd0 b16 ecu's. they are counter productive if your goal is to go to obd1 at some point. just do the p28/obd1 dizzy/injectors and wire it up correctly as i stated abvoe and you're good to go

iight,well i guess that solves that...next step,getting a conversion harness

theres 23432 brands out there.... and a coupel of our memebrs make their own as well. you should have a hard time findiing one. make a WTB thread in the classfieds

omg, brian, i'm glad you took this one, there is so much misinformation in this thread it makes me want to puke. if you don't have verified correct information on a subject, keep it to yourself instead of confusing others even more <_<

Back