Head milling - Disassembly required?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

brian11to1

I dont believe so, I believe the head can be machined without disassembly. It will need to be cleaned hot tanked whatever before reassembly. But, Im more then likely wrong

I would venture to say yes, it will need disassembled just for the reason that it will need cleaned and hottanked.

It'll be easier to clean it up when it's disassembled. Have you thought about porting it while you're getting it machined? This would be the time to do it.

Yes, dissasembly is required. When they mill they will make 89347652983479518743 little tiny metal shavings. And those will get EVERYWERE. You won't be able to get them all out if the head is assembled.

no disassembly is not required...

anytime i send out a head to get resurfaced i always leave the valves in it...
good idea to change the valve seals after hot tanking it but its not necessary...

local machine shop charges 75 bucks to mill a head
and 75 bucks to regrind the valves and valve seats to stock spec

150 for a brand new head, then just install new valve seals and throw it on...

Quoted post[/post]]

good idea to change the valve seals after hot tanking it but its not necessary...

Which is why I said what I said. I had my P75 head milled and cleaned FULLY assembled.

Quoted post[/post]]

The lazy shops will not dissasemble the head. And that is bad. But your shop probably dissasembles, then does the valve job, then mills, then re-assembles. You have to dissasemble for a valve job anyway. If they do not dissasemble for a valve job you need to change shops, because you are getting a shitty redneck valve job.

The lazy shops will not dissasemble the head. And that is bad. But your shop probably dissasembles, then does the valve job, then mills, then re-assembles. You have to dissasemble for a valve job anyway. If they do not dissasemble for a valve job you need to change shops, because you are getting a shitty redneck valve job.

if i;m getting the valves done i always bring the head with the valves already out of it in a cardboard template

the toyota head i just recently got milled was sent in complete, and picked up complete
never disassembled, just cleaned before and after the milling

Quoted post[/post]]
What's up? I need to get my cylinder head resurfaced and I figured I'd go ahead and take .01" off to get my Z6 up to about 9.4:1. Do I need to disassemble the head for this? I'm asking because I've never had this done.

Just in case:
D16Z6
75.5mm bore
Comp springs and retainers
Comp 59300

to your question here is a answer for you because i have ran into this issue before yes because if you leave the cam on the head you will have a set of valves open and they will also charge you more if you leave the cam bolted in. so when looking for a machine shop ask the them there price with the cam already removed :) i hope this will help you some and good luck :)

lance

Back