Heatsink? Opinions?

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

xj0hnx

I wanna be sedated
VIP
Well, I am power hungry and not made of money, so I need to overclock my CPU, in order to do it right I need a better heatsink. It's at 2.3 from 2.2 now. I have run it pretty stable at 2.4 for a day or two, but I don't want to fry it.

Anyone have an opinion on these?

Artic Cooling

Hama

Specs seem about the same, price is comparable, just one I can get local, and the other I have to add to my Newegg order.

If I were buying a heatsink for overclocking and didn't want to go watercooling I would buy this one:

Thermalright XP-120

Not only is is fucking COOL LOOKING, you can mount a gatdamn 120MM fan on it! 120mm = teh shit. HUGE amount of airflow while maintaining lower RPM. Lower RPM = quieter.

When I upgrade to Athlon 64, I'm getting one.

Looking at the reviews the one I posted earlier cools better on my set up. Also I want to stay below $40, shit I wouldn't spend $40 on a fan for my house.

Originally posted by Battle Pope+Mar 18 2005, 07:51 PM-->
If I were buying a heatsink for overclocking and didn't want to go watercooling I would buy this one:

Thermalright XP-120

Not only is is fucking COOL LOOKING, you can mount a gatdamn 120MM fan on it! 120mm = teh shit. HUGE amount of airflow while maintaining lower RPM. Lower RPM = quieter.

When I upgrade to Athlon 64, I'm getting one.
[post=475562]Quoted post[/post]​

Damn. That's a big chunk of metal... and very expensive.

Basically, you really don't need to be looking at any names except for: Alpha, SwiftTech, and Thermalright. Those are the only heatsink manufacturers that you should really bother with for any kind of performance air cooling.

92b16vx
@Mar 18 2005, 07:55 PM
Looking at the reviews the one I posted earlier cools better on my set up. Also I want to stay below $40, shit I wouldn't spend $40 on a fan for my house.
[post=475563]Quoted post[/post]​

Here you go:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....-112-007&depa=0

35-112-007-02.JPG

ALPHA Heatsink and Fan for Opteron and Athlon64 CPU, Model "PAL8150-M81" - Retail, $40.99

You might need this too, depending on the motherboard... reasoning is given in the review (link) for the same heatsink without the fan:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....-108-040&depa=0

35-108-040-01.JPG

Oh, I like the Hama you linked better than that weirdo heat pipe contraption... the heat pipe sink you linked just doesn't look that well made.

It is expensive, but like with all computer and electronic components, you get what you pay for. I swear by Thermalright for aircooling. I'd rather pay an extra 20 or 25 bucks and have it be something I can feel safe attaching to an overclocked chip.

On my thermalright (SLK-800U) my Athlon XP 2500+ (1.8Ghz) is running at the same speed as a 3200+ (2.2Ghz) with absolutely no hiccups. At 30C under load nonetheless.

Of course, I have a regular dynamo of a fan on there. (Vantec Tornado 80x32mm, 84 CFM @ 7200RPM)

EDIT: Also, don't judge the thermalright by the reviews - its performance depends on what fan you select to attach to it.

Of course.... Thermalright does make some damn good stuff, but right now Newegg doesn't have anything from Thermalright for less than $50, and that's just the heat sink. Add the fan and shipping and you're talking about $65 for a complete HS/fan combo.

True. I dunno, I'm just saying that my Thermalright has been extremely satisfactory, and I'd gladly pay the extra money again. :)

Hey Mike, so how is having a refrigerator/computer?

Ok, so I decided to go with the Hama, one, because they specs are about the same, and two because it is local, if there is a problem I can return it without a problem.

Originally posted by 92b16vx+Mar 19 2005, 06:50 AM-->
Hey Mike, so how is having a refrigerator/computer?
[post=475669]Quoted post[/post]​

Very cool. :lol:

92b16vx
@Mar 19 2005, 07:17 AM
Ok, so I decided to go with the Hama, one, because they specs are about the same, and two because it is local, if there is a problem I can return it without a problem.
[post=475677]Quoted post[/post]​

That'll work!

the amd 3500 s939 have seen 2.4ghz easily with stock. most people seem to be running the thermalright but not that huge beast. the smaller version. anyway, if you're looking to watercooling and dont want to piece together ur own kit, try a swiftech fb120. its on newegg for 200 shipped and it includes everything. raditor, water block, tubing, pump, etc.. i researched and its the best kit from a retailer. if you want better, make ur own kit.

Whatever you use be sure to pick up some Arctic Silver for it! I use it in my laptop for the crappy heat spreader thing and desktop for the CPU, Northbridge, and video card water blocks, the stuff is awesome!

Well guess what? The Hama is made by who else? Arctic Cooling, no wonder the specs are the same. Well, I installed, it and temps are down by about 5 degrees, after the thermal paste breaks in it should down in the 30s.

Back