1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heatsink? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Computers, Games, Electronics etc' started by xj0hnx, Mar 18, 2005.

1. xj0hnx

xj0hnx I wanna be sedated VIP

Well, I am power hungry and not made of money, so I need to overclock my CPU, in order to do it right I need a better heatsink. It's at 2.3 from 2.2 now. I have run it pretty stable at 2.4 for a day or two, but I don't want to fry it.

Anyone have an opinion on these?

Artic Cooling

Hama

Specs seem about the same, price is comparable, just one I can get local, and the other I have to add to my Newegg order.

2. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

If I were buying a heatsink for overclocking and didn't want to go watercooling I would buy this one:

Thermalright XP-120

Not only is is fucking COOL LOOKING, you can mount a gatdamn 120MM fan on it! 120mm = teh shit. HUGE amount of airflow while maintaining lower RPM. Lower RPM = quieter.

When I upgrade to Athlon 64, I'm getting one.

3. xj0hnx

Looking at the reviews the one I posted earlier cools better on my set up. Also I want to stay below $40, shit I wouldn't spend $40 on a fan for my house.

4. phunky.buddha

phunky.buddha Admin with a big stick Admin VIP

Here you go:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....-112-007&depa=0

[​IMG]

ALPHA Heatsink and Fan for Opteron and Athlon64 CPU, Model "PAL8150-M81" - Retail, $40.99

You might need this too, depending on the motherboard... reasoning is given in the review (link) for the same heatsink without the fan:

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc....-108-040&depa=0

[​IMG]

5. phunky.buddha

Oh, I like the Hama you linked better than that weirdo heat pipe contraption... the heat pipe sink you linked just doesn't look that well made.

6. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

It is expensive, but like with all computer and electronic components, you get what you pay for. I swear by Thermalright for aircooling. I'd rather pay an extra 20 or 25 bucks and have it be something I can feel safe attaching to an overclocked chip.

On my thermalright (SLK-800U) my Athlon XP 2500+ (1.8Ghz) is running at the same speed as a 3200+ (2.2Ghz) with absolutely no hiccups. At 30C under load nonetheless.

Of course, I have a regular dynamo of a fan on there. (Vantec Tornado 80x32mm, 84 CFM @ 7200RPM)

EDIT: Also, don't judge the thermalright by the reviews - its performance depends on what fan you select to attach to it.

7. phunky.buddha

Of course.... Thermalright does make some damn good stuff, but right now Newegg doesn't have anything from Thermalright for less than $50, and that's just the heat sink. Add the fan and shipping and you're talking about $65 for a complete HS/fan combo.

8. Battle Pope

Battle Pope New Member

True. I dunno, I'm just saying that my Thermalright has been extremely satisfactory, and I'd gladly pay the extra money again. :)

9. phunky.buddha

Yeah- the same with my Alphas... plus Alpha has been in the game MUCH longer than Thermalright. :)

10. xj0hnx

Hey Mike, so how is having a refrigerator/computer?

11. xj0hnx

Ok, so I decided to go with the Hama, one, because they specs are about the same, and two because it is local, if there is a problem I can return it without a problem.

12. phunky.buddha

That'll work!

13. endlesszeal

endlesszeal Senior Member

the amd 3500 s939 have seen 2.4ghz easily with stock. most people seem to be running the thermalright but not that huge beast. the smaller version. anyway, if you're looking to watercooling and dont want to piece together ur own kit, try a swiftech fb120. its on newegg for 200 shipped and it includes everything. raditor, water block, tubing, pump, etc.. i researched and its the best kit from a retailer. if you want better, make ur own kit.

14. nfn15037

nfn15037 Senior Member

Whatever you use be sure to pick up some Arctic Silver for it! I use it in my laptop for the crappy heat spreader thing and desktop for the CPU, Northbridge, and video card water blocks, the stuff is awesome!

15. xj0hnx

Well guess what? The Hama is made by who else? Arctic Cooling, no wonder the specs are the same. Well, I installed, it and temps are down by about 5 degrees, after the thermal paste breaks in it should down in the 30s.

16. phunky.buddha

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted