Hello...and...Help!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Magik

B) Hi guys...how's it going...this is my first post on the forum...I hope that I can help and be helped on here.

History:

For the last three years I have been driving a 90 Civic HB STD that I bought off of my aunt with a D15B1 engine and about (now) 285,000 kms on it, my first car, my baby. I also recently (September) bought a used 90 Civic HB Si for parts to add to my Civic, before you ask there is some thing wrong with the motor that's why I am not driving the Si. Within thirty days I had swapped various parts such as the rims (for winter tires), gauge cluster (for tach) and other various odds and ends.

Current:

Death of a Civic...sigh...this past Friday I got cut off in an intersection by a full size Dodge Ram pick-up...who do you think won? So needless to say, the front end of my Civic is mushed pretty good...likely a write off. I'd post a pic, but I'm not quite sure how to do that here yet. The other driver was completely at fault.
The crappy thing now is I have one Civic smashed that I have no idea what is going to happen to it (insurance hasn't looked at it yet) and an Si with a wiggy motor.

Civic HB Si:

This car is sound all around, I have already taken my new tires off the STD and put them back on it, replacing a couple of studs that I snapped when taking them off in the first place. Body is reasonably good...Everything I took off is back on...here is what's going on with the rest of it...

Engine bay is covered in OIL, strong oil smell (appears like leak & spray)
White Smoke from tail pipe
ECU flashing a "10" flash (no idea what that means)
Engine light staying on.

The block says that it has a D15B2 in it, and I know that stock it comes with a D16A6, so someone has obviously swapped it for some reason.

Questions:

What is wrong, that you can tell from the infor above, with the Si and how do I fix it???

What engines will Bolt Right In to this Civic engine bay with no additional parts??

Is there a V-tech engine that will fit in this car?

Thanks Guys for all of your future help...and go easy on me...I'm slow when it comes to this stuff...still very much learning...

Jason B)

NOO!!!!

you said v-tech!!

It's not a phone, It's Vtec

anywho

I'd swap in a ZC, cheap, nice..

go on over to hmotorsonline.com a well reputable place and check it out

Originally posted by JDMPlaya@Nov 26 2003, 10:38 AM

NOO!!!!

you said v-tech!!

It's not a phone, It's Vtec

anywho

I'd swap in a ZC, cheap, nice..

go on over to hmotorsonline.com a well reputable place and check it out

Heh...oops... ;)

Sorry Vtech...my bad!

I've had a ZC suggested to me already...are there any other options besides that...something that, if need be, I can find a LOT of upgrades for if I ever choose to 'tweak' my engine a bit?

Thanks guys!

Jason

Can anyone even give me a hint towards the answers to my questions? B)

Jason

That much oil everywhere would tell me that the head gasket is more than likely blown. Do a compression test on the engine. White smoke means coolant, blue smoke is oil, and black smoke is fuel. If you got oil everywhere like that and blowing out white smoke. I am about 99% sure its your head gasket blown.
As for a swap... A ZC, D16A6, D16Z6, B16A. These would be your more simple swaps to throw in.

Originally posted by knowledge@Nov 26 2003, 03:39 PM
That much oil everywhere would tell me that the head gasket is more than likely blown. Do a compression test on the engine. White smoke means coolant, blue smoke is oil, and black smoke is fuel. If you got oil everywhere like that and blowing out white smoke. I am about 99% sure its your head gasket blown.
As for a swap... A ZC, D16A6, D16Z6, B16A. These would be your more simple swaps to throw in.

A B16A would bolt right in? I didn't realize any "b" would fit right in...?

Jason

Questions:

What is wrong, that you can tell from the infor above, with the Si and how do I fix it???

- it sounds like it has a blown headgasket (white smoke from tailpipe). also, probably worn cam seals and valve cover gasket (oil all over engine). the head gasket is not a simple fix. need to pull the head to replace it. the other stuff isnt that big a deal but if u dont have any mechanical experience, i would have a shop replace them.

What engines will Bolt Right In to this Civic engine bay with no additional parts??

- for the best power, no additional parts...ZC (130hp, DOHC w/no vtec). if u live in cali, you will have a hard time passing smog with this engine.

- for about the same peak power (about 125hp), you can swap in a D16z6 SOHC VTEC). should have no problem passing smog with it. still a very nice swap for your car.

- D16z6 as mentioned above
- B16a1 or B16a2 (both are DOHC VTEC) 160hp each
- B18c1 (integra gsr engine) expensive and somewhat rare, around 170hp (?)
- B18c5 (type r engine) very expensive and rare, about 195hp

another way to check to see if the head gasket is bad. Start the car, if it runs, take off the radiator cap. IF you see bubbles then the headgasket is blown. Does it leak water/coolant?

Originally posted by Blanco@Nov 26 2003, 08:24 PM
Code 10 = Intake Air Temperature (IAT) Sensor, located in the air cleaner housing.

Sorry for the dumb questions, and I solve this problem...how?

Jason :blink:

It's official...it is being considered a write off...

But get this...know what his insurance company offered me...$1000!!!! :fuckyou3: Bastards...I knew they'd come in low...but sweet geezuz! He asked me what I was thinking, suggesting maybe around $2000...I said bare minimum! He told me that the appraiser told him that if the car was in perfect condition he couldn't get more than $3-500 for it... :bs: that's a freakin' joke, I had a perfect, running car, albeit a little banged up...but running fine before his customer hit me. They could get at LEAST that out of the engine alone! :rolleyes:
If he comes back and says $2000...my next statement is..."$2500" :D...if he won't agree to that, then I say..."I keep the car" (parts for the Si like the new 'front pipe' that I just put on that cost me over $400)...we'll see...

Sorry had to vent... :rant:

Jason

Anyone have any suggestions?

Will a SOHC D15B Vtec...bolt right into...my 90 Civic HB Si? I found a good price on one in Montreal and am looking at it...

Also would the above engine be better than the non-Vtec stock D16A6?? :roll:

...or the DOHC ZC (both the D15B-V & the ZC are 130Hp) wanted the vtec...but anything else is outta my range $$$

Jason

PS> "crxtunerfan"...I live on the East Coast of Canada...there are no 'smog' rules to pass here...

Yes the D15B Vtec will bolt right in i heard its basically a civic vx block with a Z6 head....its rated at 130hp....its a good choice and how are you so sure that that "Si" is an Si....does it have the sunroof or rear wiper????...If its an Si you can se that tranny with the d15b.

Originally posted by BseriesKllR@Nov 30 2003, 08:55 PM
Yes the D15B Vtec will bolt right in i heard its basically a civic vx block with a Z6 head....its rated at 130hp....its a good choice and how are you so sure that that "Si" is an Si....does it have the sunroof or rear wiper????...If its an Si you can se that tranny with the d15b.

Yes it does have the power sunroof and the rear wiper...the tilt steering, the tachometer gauge cluster, the trunk light, the door pockets, the dash clock...all which my STD did not.

"If its an Si you can se that tranny with the d15b."...<I didn't understand what you mean here...

Jason

Back