1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HELP! B16a [sir I] long block

Discussion in 'HYBRID -> ED-EF / DA' started by hardcoreflatlandcrx, Nov 6, 2003.

1. hardcoreflatlandcrx

hardcoreflatlandcrx Junior Member

Is there anything I need to know about doing this swap--Extra parts,trans,ect?
    Will my stock 1991 Si tranny bolt up to this motor? Proly a dumb question but I need to know. The motor I'm looking at is a b16a [sir I] long block 160hp.
    The motor comes with:intake,exhaust manifold,injectors,fuel rail,throltle body.
    What about a computer? laugh again...will my old comp work with it-proly not huh?

Best cheap swap motors for this car?
    I'm looking at a D15B vtec and the b16A

HELP please !!!!!!!

2. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

Your old transmission and computer will not work with the B16A

3. hardcoreflatlandcrx

What about the D15b sohc vtec longblock? Would my old tranny work with that?
    If not what the diff between a 5 spd hrdro tranny and one that says LSD?
    Price jumps from $150 to 350!

4. lsvtec

lsvtec GNU/Linux Evangelist

I don't know about the D15B, but you would need to buy a conversion kit to use the hydro tranny.

5. hardcoreflatlandcrx

So what does LSD mean?
    How much do the used comps cost about for the d15b sohc vtec?

6. MaaseyRacer

MaaseyRacer Senior Member

alright man it is pretty obvious you are new to the engine swap thing. so slow down a bit, take some time to do some reading let me point you in the right direction. Start with the FAQ:
    http://www.hondaswap.com/forums/index.php?showforum=1
    read through it, it will not take that long.

read through some of the articles and reference:
    http://www.hondaswap.com/articles/index.php
    http://www.hondaswap.com/reference/index.php
    http://www.hondaswap.com/swap/index.php

after you do some reading and looking up come back ask some questions you will be much more knowledgeable.
    Good Luck, it looks like a lot of reading but it is not that much.

Oh and to answer your question, you can bolt you SI tranny to a d15b, but you will need to convert to obd1 witch might be over your head right now. And LSD mean Limited Slip Differential...

7. hardcoreflatlandcrx

Well your right about the honda brain head...
    The org motor blew up,I ended up getting a motor put in about 2 years ago.
    At the time it was sup to be a 1.6 si motor,but what I ended up with was
    a freakin 93 del-sol 1.5 motor-POS!
    The other night I took off from the line away from my friend and saw smoke in my rear view mirror. After talking with some people we came up with either it was a blown head gasket or the rings.The color of the smoke is white.
    I took it to a mechanic yesterday and he called back today and said it was prob the rings-he did a compression test and said it was low. The thing is I think he went by the 1.6 si spec's. I know theirs a hell of a differnce in HP between the 2 motors.The compression should be about the same tho huh? around 9.something.
    So I really don't feel like rebuilding a POS motor when I can buy one for less.
    Just don't know which one yet?
    Thanks for everyones help and if you have any other sugestions-please feel free!

I really think I'd just be happy with a D15B vtec-seems simple enough no?
    I just need more info about the b16a sir I and the d15b as far as what I will need and how much some of this stuff will cost. Yes I'd rather have 160hp over the 130!

8. RIT Civic

RIT Civic Senior Member

The B16 will def. be the better choice in my opinion. There are a few swap sites out there and very good links about b16 swap...check out www.hasport.com and they have a few links for b16 swaps under their technical page....good luck and make sure you get informed before you buy...make sure its what you want to do and not want a friend wants you to do.

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted