Help! Cam Install problems!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Iquark

Well, yesterday I started my cam install, and everything went pretty well, except when I stripped out one of the cam plate cap bolts, but I fixed that with a tap. Then I thought everything was going well when, got the valves adjusted, and got the timing belt on, started up just fine first time, and then went to drive it and there was no power!!! Cam back, and realized that the valve timing was off (at the cam gears, I think you call this valve timing...) Fixed that, it took forever to get it right, and went out again and had even less power!!!! Now My friend and I who were doing this decided to drop it for the night, and then when he went home he thought that we hmay have not set the valves and the timing when cylinder 1 was on TDC of the power stroke... Well I need some other advice for plans of action, and ANY HELP would be very appreciated. The cams are just CTR, and I didn't upgrade the valve train as I won't be raising the rev limiter. Thanks in advance,

Ian

you just need to make sure the mark on the crank pulley (The TDC one, the lonely white mark) is at the pointer. it does not matter if it is the "power" stroke, that is dictated by the cams. once the crank pulley is set, the cam gears must have the up arrows pointing up, and then to make sure it is perfect, the little tick marks on the cam gears should also line up horizontally. make sure your belt slack is towards the rear of the car, and tension (no slack at all) on the belt side that faces the front of the car. loosen the tighten the tensioner pulley and you should be set.

EDIT: also remember to set your ignition timing after all this is said and done.

Back