Help, I need to know if this trade is reliable/legit! SOON!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Pippo9

Well, here is my civic Honda Civic Hatchback DX Low Miles!! Automatic - WILL CONSIDER TRADES!

Here is the other guy's NEED GONE TODAY 92 Honda CIVIC hb
He stated that the engine was swapped for a d16, from a 96-00 civic. It's a CX model and has 110k miles. Smells kinda fishy to me.

He said he wants to trade so his wife can drive it (automatic). Can't tell if hes trying to f*ck me over or not. Need some opinions! Or atleast tips for what to look for once i meet him! Anything is appreciated! Thanks guys!

Also, he said it has 89 k miles on motor, and 110k on body. Any way to check this? (excluding the thing that shows the mileage)

Well, from what I can tell from the limited info and pictures, the car seems okay. In what way do you think he's trying to fuck you over? In my opinion the motor swap is not really a problem. These cars are easy to swap. People replace D-series engines with other D-series all the time. And no, there's really no way to tell the mileage on the engine at this point, unless he's got some kind of papers certifying the mileage at the time that the engine was removed.

You really just need to go and look at it, and if anything seems fishy, just say no. Don't be pressured in to making a deal.

One thing to consider though...you don't even know how to drive a stick. Do you really want to trade for a car that you can't even drive off the bat? What if you try to learn and find out you don't like it?

I think it's worth looking at, but also don't look at it as the opportunity of the century. Used beater econo cars are a dime a dozen. Something else will come along...

The one you're looking at trading for will likely ride like shit compared to your current car. Stiff and bumpy. But in the end they are both turd boxes. People trade all the time. Even if it's a rip off it'll only set you back slightly considering you could pick up a motor for it and have it running like new for $1500.

I still say the car you have isn't all that bad. Such local forums or Craigslist and see if you can pick up a gently used set of shocks and springs. Throw a cheapy intake and header on there too. See if you even enjoy working on cars before you dispose of it for a vehicle that you can't even drive yet...

Well, the trade wont happen. The guy sold it before i could even meet him, thanks for the feedback anyways. Brutal, but since it's an automatic, is it worth putting money into it, know what i mean? I can always convert it to manual later on, but that seems like a pain in the ass. It is pretty low on miles for a 1993, just wish it was manual...

It's up to you really. I learned a lot of what I know about cars from working on an old automatic Integra. I knew it would likely never be fast, but I still had a lot of fun with it, and it helped me decide that working on cars is something that I actually enjoy and will likely continue to pursue, and that it wasn't just a passing interest.

That's why I recommend not spending a ton of money on it though. You could grab a short ram intake and maybe a Megan header from E-Bay for under $200 total probably. Maybe grab yourself some new plugs and plug wires too. Do a tune-up and install your new parts. Like I said, see if anybody's selling a gently used set of quality shocks and springs locally. People are always selling wheels that will fit your car as well, whether they be something after-market or some type of OEM rim (Si wheels, GSR blades or webs, etc.).

If you do that kind of stuff and it whets your appetite for more, then you'll know for sure that you need to upgrade to a better car. If you lose interest in it though, then you'll still have a reliable ride to commute with or to sell or trade.

That's just my 2 cents...

put some suspension on it, brakes.. if you didnt feel like converting to manual you could always do an auto LS swap

Yeah i guess i could drop a couple bucks into this civic. Do you know which megan header would fit? The only one i found for 92-95 was one that fits a d16. I have the stock d15. Also about the short ram intake, the ones on ebay look really shitty. And the suspension, any specific brands to look for? There was an ad with tokico shocks and springs for $250, seemed like a good deal. Thanks !

Back