Help me figure out the problem with my driver

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SlushboxTeggy

It's only stupid if it doesn't work
VIP
Basically, translate this for me and tell me how to fix it. It comes up occasionally and really doesn't affect normal performance but obviously a blue screen cant be a good thing.
GetAttachment_aspx.jpg

:werd:

Download the new one, uninstall the old one, reboot, and select the new one when it says "omgwtfdevice found"

Looks like these two fine gentleman hooked you up already. So I will just mosey right along.

i also suggest running driver cleaner or driver sweeper in safe mode to remove traces of the old stuff so it wont interfere.

nv4_disp is the name of one of the primary nvidia display drivers. since it doesn't seem like you're really experienced with computer technician type stuff, I'd skip the driver cleaner stuff. Figure out what nvidia video device you've got and go to the driver section of nvidia.com and grab a new version. You should be able to find the device name in the documentation or device manager. It looks like a laptop, so you could probably just go to Dell and find the device associated with your model laptop.

even still pope, nvidia puts out newer driver releases before manufacturer and most of the time its just the same thing, branded. gotta check the website.

that's what I was saying, get the drivers from nvidia, point was that he might be able to find which chip he's got from dell based on the notebook details

Guru3D - Driver Sweeper

go there, download and install. then go to device manager and uninstall the video adapter or whatever it has under nvidia DISPLAY (not chipset). then reboot computer and hit F8 at post or just keep hitting F8 after reboot. go into safe mode and run program. just click on nvidia display/video and clean driver.

then go to dell and get the latest driver. you could go to Welcome to NVIDIA - World Leader in Visual Computing Technologies and get it but you will need to know the video chipset.

Well I did a Google search to see what I could find. Found a program that would do a scan for free. Well 27 out of date drivers later I bought a $30 program, played with it for under an hour, and everything is up to date and seems to be working fine. Guess we will see if I get another blue screen or not.

For an hour of my time vs. hours of frustration searching for 27 drivers it was worth 30 bucks. I consider it a convenience fee really.

Those programs exist specifically to get you to pay for the illusion that it's fixing a problem. Chances are it didn't update any of your drivers at all, and you're out your $30.

Well I haven't had a problem since. If I bump this thread ready to kill then I agree with you.

BTW, awesome quote in your sig.

Back