1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help needed with a B18B1 build (urgent)

Discussion in 'Engine Building' started by Xanatos, May 19, 2015.

1. Xanatos

Xanatos Village Idiot VIP

So my dad who is a full fledged bodyman/mechanic/painter of 40+ years offered to tap my OEM oil pan for a turbo. He's a great welder and fabricator and it's free. My issue is I don't know what kind of "nozzle" to use. I won't be putting the turbo on for some time but I'm rebuilding the engine now and the guy building my motor said I should get it tapped now while it's easiest to access. I don't know what turbo I'm going to use either. What can I do to leave my options open down the road but still tap it now?

2. whiterabbit06

whiterabbit06 Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill? VIP

I'd use a big pipe thread fitting and thread a cap on it, that's how mine is.

3. whiterabbit06

whiterabbit06 Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill? VIP

4. get_nick

get_nick These snozzberries taste like snozzberries... VIP

Don't they make nozzles that replace the plug? I don't know if they are any good or not.

5. Briansol

Briansol Admins Admin VIP

Make sure the tap is at the TOP otherwise the oil won't drain in... it will be 'underwater'.
    also don't put it where there's a bolt hole or you won't be able to tighten the pan back to the block after it's in :X
    Make sure it sits flush or a little aiming up. you don't want the return line to have a 'puddle' spot. it needs to flow with gravity only.

I highly recommend buying a set up like this: http://www.fast-turbo.com/products/Complete-Oil-Line-Kit.html

It comes with the in-pan flange to weld in and the rest of the parts are top quality. looks expensive, but all those fittings are pricey

6. Xanatos

Xanatos Village Idiot VIP

Tapped it with a 1/2 brass bushing and plugged it accordingly. My dad brazened (or whatever you call it with brass) the bushing to the hole in the pan. Should be good!

get_nick likes this.
Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted