help on toilet HX

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

HX J 98

First I just want to say killer forum. My question is I just bought a 98 HX Civic (toilet) with only 40k miles. I am having a problem with the car surging when cruising between 2000-3000 RPM. After looking at Alldatas web site I found out the HX had like 63 service recalls. Service recall # 27 released April 00 99-068 describes surging at highway speeds. Does any one know what the problem might be? I really do not want to take this car to the dealer and have them soak me for the fix. Also does any one know if you can buy the factory manuals instead of say a Chiltons manual ? If so where could I get them. When I ask the dealer they tell me that there is no such thing which is BS. My other problem is that when the car is cold sometimes it takes a while for it to start like it will crank over more than normal this only happens sometimes. What could be the problem with that? This is my first Honda I have had Toyotas since I can remember so I am really in the dark when it comes to working on the Hondas. Any input would be great. Thanks

Thanks for the link Blanco that is what i was looking for. I should have looked better at what would be the service "recall". They actually call it a service "bulletin" and after reading a little closer the bulletin just gives the mechanic a blueprint to the fixing the problem should the owner of the vehicle need this repair which = I have to pay for the fix. I realy do not want to bring this car to the dealer to be checked because so if any on has any ideas that would be great. Thanks

how much research have to done on the engine in your car?
I don't remember exactly but on the HX the vtec-e crossover point is somewhere around 2000 rpm.

what your engine does... in the name of fuel economy is it closes one of the intake valves at low rpms (opens it only enough for the fuel to get to the cylinder so it doesn't pool on the valve) with only one intake valve open this causes the intake air to swirl in the chamber so that a better mixture is achieved and less fuel is wasted at low rpm.
there is a really good site that expains it better, I'm just too lazy to find it
just do a search on vtec-e

maybe you could get your hands on the service bulletin to find out what the problem is and what the fix is.... maybe it is something like a valve adjustment or a timing issue or something

good luck

Thanks Seanjuan I read the same article and that is exactly what i thought what was going on. I'm still looking for info. on the service bulletin. Thanks

Back