help w/ b16 2nd gen into 91 civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

I have swapped a b16 from an 93 xsi teg into my 91 civic EX
It runs, but there are problems.

problems:

1. will run on cold start, but after you shut it off and try to start it again it will idle improperly and when you try to drive it it has no power, it bogs out.
-changed the main relay, thinking it might be the ignitor

2. is the car suppose to be fairly loud, i have no aftermarket exaust, and it is loud.
- i know i should change the exaust, but it alread has good flow through from rust.

3. electrical flickers after high rev and when riding down hill in gear w/o pressing gas.
-changed the battery

4. Engine light stays on
- don't know how to read the engine codes on the ecu. it is pr3 obd-1

All my problems could be the wiring but i think i did it right. obd0 to obd1

i you peeps can help thanks.

sorry new to this forum. :)

stick a paper clip in the harness to read the codes not exactly sure but someone here can clarify. the electrical flicker sounds like your altenator belt might be slipping. And also more than likely the reason it runs bad is because of the engine code.

Try checking to make sure the wiring is correct for your TPS. If the wires are switched then you can get the bogging during acceleration thing.

thanks for the help i will try to check the TPS wire and the altinator belt.

but, don't know how to flash the ecu codes.

First off, check your distributor. you should be using a white plug one because the pr3 ecu is obd-0. to check the codes on a pr3 you need to count the flashes on the ecu. and you can't use a obd-1 ecu because it simply won't plug in. problems like this are exactly why i regret not sticking to my obd series.

Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR@Dec 29 2003, 02:55 PM
and you can't use a obd-1 ecu because it simply won't plug in.

no, he converted it over to obd1. you should be saying he cant use an obd0 ecu.

anyway, as far as for getting codes, i have a connector over on the passenger side to the right of the ecu where you just throw a paper clip into to jump the ecu for codes that flash on the check engine light itself. i am aware that obd0 cars originally didnt have this connector and codes flashed on the ecu itself instead of the check engine light beside the tach. what harness did you use by the way? the connector should be there around the ecu. id worry about that problem before anything else. it will help you much more to know what codes you are throwing.

Yes, my ecu is an obd-1 pr3 from the 93' xsi teg.

well i took the ecu plugs from an accord in a junk yard and cut off the old ecu plugs and spliced the other one in.

in the engine compartment i used the stock d16a6 harness but changed the injector and other sensor plugs on it from the b16s harness.

yeah i dont have the jumper for the ecu. someone told me just look for a obd 1 dash harness, will that work? sounds complicated.

Originally posted by racingtopher@Dec 30 2003, 12:52 PM
Yes, my ecu is an obd-1 pr3 from the 93' xsi teg.

well i took the ecu plugs from an accord in a junk yard and cut off the old ecu plugs and spliced the other one in.

in the engine compartment i used the stock d16a6 harness but changed the injector and other sensor plugs on it from the b16s harness.

yeah i dont have the jumper for the ecu. someone told me just look for a obd 1 dash harness, will that work? sounds complicated.

an obd-1 pr3???

https://hondaswap.com/reference/index.php?mode=ecu

go to "view details" for each pr3 and tell me what obd series they are maybe that is where you problem lays, like i said before.

because pr3's are obd-0...try running a p61 or a p72...maybe even a single cam vtec ecu.

weird?? to be honest, i don't think it's a pr3...try one of your friend's ecu, like a b16 del sol one or a gsr one and see what happens

Originally posted by B16RacerN2NR@Dec 30 2003, 08:08 PM
because pr3's are obd-0...try running a p61 or a p72...maybe even a single cam vtec ecu.

the PR3 J00 is OBD1, that's what he has. you'll need to go to autozone and go get them to hook a scan tool to it. That will either give you the answer or a clue where to start.

we don't have an autozone here in Hawaii :roll:

our state sucks when it comes to shops and stores. we dont have a lot of stores that you guys have.

No Target, Norstrome, Wallgreens, Pep Boys, AutoZone, Crispy Cream, I Hop, Sonics, ect.

Back