Help with 96 civic swap

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Halifaxsteve

New to the board. did lots of searching, but can't find the exact answer to my question.

driving a '96 civic with a slightly anemic D16Y7 :roll:

i can pick up a engine and tranny from a '93 integra (B18A1) for super cheap. Both are non-vtec, but the 93 is OBD1. what is required for this swap?

what is the difference between the 94/95 and 96-00 B18B1 engines (other than being OBD1 and 2) in terms of swapping them into my car?

even though i can get a very good deal on the '93, should i pass and go for the 94/95 or 96-00?

thanks!
steve

so what is so bad about the B18A1? what is more complex with this one over the B18B1?

for the B18B1, aside from the OBD1 and 2, what is the difference in the 94/95 vs 96-00 in hooking it up?

thanks for the help! appreciate it!

the B18A1 has a cable tranny
so aside from wiring issues you cant use the tranny without a conversion kit

OBD-1 vs OBD-2 -- injector plugs are different, distributor plugs are different, alternator plugs are different, OBD-2 uses 2 O2 sensors... theres some other shit ... but i cant think of it now

get an OBD-2a engine (pre 99 i think... not 100% sure) so the ECU will plug into your car without any bullshit

obd2a= 96-98

also, b18a1's were pre-94 so theyre at least ten years old, and more than likely have a shitload of miles.

just get a 96-98. youll have to put your stock civic harness on the motor, but that should be hella easy. ecu will plug right in.

also, you might wanna look into a better tranny. si, b16...shit, go all out and get an itr. a good tranny will make a huge difference.

Originally posted by civicious@Feb 9 2004, 10:35 PM
obd2a= 96-98

also, b18a1's were pre-94 so theyre at least ten years old, and more than likely have a shitload of miles.

just get a 96-98. youll have to put your stock civic harness on the motor, but that should be hella easy. ecu will plug right in.

also, you might wanna look into a better tranny. si, b16...shit, go all out and get an itr. a good tranny will make a huge difference.

Thanks for the advice. the only reason i was considering the 93 B18A1 is because i can buy the entire car from an old person. the engine and tranny are excellent, but the body looks like swiss cheese. the engine and tranny i would swap out, and junk or part out the rest.

i figured i'd need another tranny anyway, seeing as i'm taking out a D16Y7 with the stock tranny.

for the tranny, would i be better going with a stock integra tranny, or an Si? ITR may be a little rich for my blood at this point ;)

thanks

Back