Help with a '93 B7 engine situation...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Gideon

I just bought this 1989 CRX Si. It has a 1993 B7 16 Valve engine in it. The only problem is it blows white smoke. I know it could be the rings, but let me lay it down like this:

Items Dismantled:
1)power steering
2)Air conditioning
Items frankesteined on from a vtec engine:
1)intake manifold
2)Fuel pump

Items mickeymoused on:
1)Cold air intake filter (no tubing from manifold to filter. Just the filter on the manifold.
2)Catalytic converter has been carved out, leaving an empty tube in it's place.
3)I believe the back brakes have been taken out.
4) Progressive shocks installed on the back (but not the front) that are REALLY TIGHT (makes for a bumpy, harsh ride)
5) Magnaflow exhaust can.
6) seats from a 1993 civic screwed into man-made holes with lots of drywall screws batched together to make a tight seal (holy god all mighty)

problems noted:
1)nice fat puffs of white smoke on start-up and warm-up. Still there during full warm, but not as ever-present, unless at night.
2) At 3000 RPMs, the engine jumps up in power, on each gear.
3) There's some annoying metallic rattling coming from what seems to be the area closest to where the windsheild meets the hood.(???)
4) At around 50-55 mph, when driving beside a barrier, you can hear a small metallic rattling (rings?).

HELP! PLEASE!

white smoke means coolant is mixing from somewhere probly a head gasket. its not rings

so.....

keeping these problems and half-assed-ry in mind that has already been done to it, would it be better in the long run to fix these problems and get the engine running right? or get a different engine? What about the other problems? I was always told white smoke meant rings bad...:confused:

oh yeah, almost forgot to mention this one....

When I am sitting at a light, the idle sways from 500rpms to 1000 rpms, then back down to 500, and so on and so on and blah blah blah

I dunno about that. The headgasket replacement is only gonna be $23, and most of the work, besides resurfacing I can do myself...

thats true but you can get a single cam jdm d15b vtec or a single cam d16z6 vtec that will drop right in and you can use your stock tranny for about 500 bucks

you got a point there, but i still want to get this thing in better running order, before I just pull the engine...I still need to be able to get to work...

...and isnt there a lot of wiring (besides basic harness) that you have to do in order to run a vtec?

trust me, going by experiance with a b7 your alot better off to swap it. and as far as the vtec goes if you decide to go that route its like they said, its only 1-2 wires depending on which solenoid you get. mine is the 1 wire so it was a real easy install. and you can either get a vtec ecu that will work with your motor that you choose or chip your ecu and use turboedit and get a cheap relay and engage vtec through that. or if all else fails you could hook up the power wire to a kick ass blue neon light switch (lol)

Back