help with crower 403's

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

SleEPeR_CRX

hey all, i just got my crower 403 cams with titanium springs and retainers. what do i have to do ( other than adjust valves) to get it to work right? B or wildbillhatch u can totally help me out:), is there anything else i gotta do to get them to run correctly?

install and then tune.
are you doing everything yourself? have you ever done springs and retainers? all you really need to do is lash the valves when its done, start off at 0 deg on int/exh.

I just put cams in my LS last weekend! It is a breeze as long as...................

You have mechanical skillz. ( did I spell that right, anyway..)

You get your timing right.

You adjust your valve lash to the right specs. It will surprise you at first because of the diff in the new cams and stock cams.

If you are changing valve springs, good luck because unless you pull the head off, you will have to be creative, you can't just get a valve spring comp. just anywhere for honda's. The heads are too tight.

TIP: lube the cams up real good and install the exhaust cam first and then use the intake cam to get the timing belt on where you need it.

[/B]Good Luck!!!

valve lash, what is it and how do i deal with it? PS i have a lot of friends that will be helping me on this, but id still like to know as much as i can so i can do most of it by myself.

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX@Aug 13 2003, 11:32 PM
valve lash, what is it and how do i deal with it? PS i have a lot of friends that will be helping me on this, but id still like to know as much as i can so i can do most of it by myself.

valve lash is the clearance between the cam and the rocker, there is a spec that they should be set at, you need a 10mm wrench and a flat head screwdriver to adjust your valve lash, and a feeler guage. snap on makes a special tool for it because its a pain to get a wrench to the 10mm bolt.

If your going to be using doing valve lash adjusments, or any sort of regular basis. I.E. more than once. Buy the tool. Its will save you mega time. Like,
B16 says from Snap on or Matco etc.. I got mine from Snap on, which sells "Schley tools" Who by the way is the Father of Aaron Schely the All motor drag racer. So by buying one you are helping a fellow racer indirectly. Just a side note.

you really should not attempt the springs/retainers without a correct valve spring compressor. yea, the cams are a breeze, its as easy as taking the valve cover off. but do not use"two screw drivers on each retainer to compress the spring to get the keepers out".

I agree with DTEC, Do Not Try unless the tools are in your grasp!!!!

Those keepers are small and can fly off if done incorrectly.
Get a Hayne's manual and it will tell you all about vavle lash (adjusting the vavles)

ive already adjusted my valve with stock cams, b/c they were ticking. i used the feelers and the 10 mm, is this the same thing as adjusting the valve lash?

Originally posted by SleEPeR_CRX@Aug 14 2003, 10:49 AM
ive already adjusted my valve with stock cams, b/c they were ticking. i used the feelers and the 10 mm, is this the same thing as adjusting the valve lash?

yes

Back