Help with engine decision for 89 civic

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

89civictyper

I own a 89 honda civic dx hatch back but mine is a little deffrient for one it has the 4 spd trans with a 1.5 liter engine in it so yeah it's really slow and sucks now i can't really decide on if i want to put a b16 motor or a zc motor in. the reason i'm not sure is because well i want to do it my self and every body that i have talked to around my area dosen't know what would fit due to it haveing the 4 spd trans in it. so i was woundering if i got a complete swap using the ZC motor (which is a DOHC motor) would every thing fit right in with out to much change over that i would have to do (by that i mean i'm taking out the 4 spd and puting a 5 spd in) oh yeah i'm on a budget also so please help me i'm new at this 4 spd thing. thanks

The zc will fit but you will want a dx, zc, or si tranny. You will need to change the hubs so you can fit bigger brakes and axles up front.

You can also do the b16. If you are on a budget plan on a couple hundred extra for some parts to make it work right.

Do think that the 4spd is a total shit box, you have a very light car.

also, anyswap u do u will have to change from DPI-MPFI, then go for the swap. i suggest b16's. im mad at myself for going b18, b/c i see many low 14 second CRX's out here, with only i/h/e/

I have done this swap several times. IF you do the ZC swap you can keep your tranny and axles. Your tranny will bolt up to the ZC motor. The ZC motor will also bolt into your stock engine mounts. The only part thats different is the outer splines on the on the 4 speed axles will not fit in 5 speed hubs and vice-versa. It is just that you gear ratios will suck because it a 4 speed. You will have to convert your DPFI(dual port fuel injection) to MPFI (multi port fuel injection). Your going to have to do that on any swap. You do not need bigger brakes. Your stock ones will work fine. Even with a b16 swap. If you do go with a b16 swap you will need to change out splined center of the hub. Which will require you to press out your old bearing and put in a new one. Or what most people do is buy a set of hubs from a junk yard. You will need the hubs from any 88-91 honda civic or CRX that had a 5 speed trannsmission.
If you have any questions hit me up.

Back