HELP!!!

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

Ok here's the scoop I own a 1990 honda civic si the body has a good bit of rust.
It has 241000 Km on it and the head gasket just went the head might be warped.
I have a mech. that says he can rebuild the engine for Approx $1500.00(canadian).
Should I do it or not the main consideration is the rust damage to have it done Pro is about 6500.00 including paint, and that is new panels not a cut and paste job.
I could do it myself for under 500.00 cut and paste.
It also has a new rad less than a year old and brand new front axles.
I bought it used for a $1000.00 and have already put about $3000.00 to $4000.00 into it.

So do I go buy a new car or put the cash into it?

lol you could get a new engine for less than 1500. fuck that.

depends how much you like the car. Realize that if you decide to buy a new one the old one is a complete loss, as it's resale value is about nil. You may just want to consider picking up a b16a1 for 1 grand, and making it fast.

Yeah i love the car it's the funnest thing to drive. The 1500 for the rebuild includes taxes though the cost could be as low as 900 depending on how much damage has been done to the heads.
I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and keep it going and yes I plan on making it FASTER :D

man you can pick up a dx motor for like 200 bucks tops, people are giving them away practically. i say track down a DX motor or if you going to spend all that money on a motor rebuild for a D15, just get a b16a, and some mounts, axels, and some wire and you should be set...

The engine in the car is a b16a6 currently.
I haven't done to much playing around with it to see if any engine mods where done by the previous owner. They seem to have been more into the stereo than the engine. What I'd really like to do is try swapping a 5th Gen DOHC Vtec Engine into it and throw on a performance clutch.

I'll have to double check but if memory serves me right it is actually a b16a6. I won't know till later though I'll post it for sure when I know for certain. though I am pretty sure about it being a b16a6. I'm positive it is a 1.6L SOHC in real ruff shape :roll:

the D16a6 was the stock motor for the 88-91 civic Si's in america and i forget the trim line name equivalent in canada. the B16a is the stock motor from the japanese market (JDM) civic SiR's. also, there i no B16a6, the last B16a model was the B16a2 found in the 1999-2000 civic Si's.

Ok so I am new at this but let me see if I understand the American/Canadian ?trim? name for my engine is as I thought a b16a6 but in reality it is a d16a6. I thought that the DOHC 1.6l JDM was a ZC?
Please someone enlighten me. :worthy:

the jdm DOHC 1.6l is a zc, unless it has vtec, then a jdm DOHC 1.6l w/ vtec would be either a b16a, b16a2, or a b16b.

but you said your car is a SOHC, and if that is the stock motor that came in your crx, then it has to be a d16a6.

OK so if I do just go with the rebuild what do you guys suggest for a good place to start and purchase parts to upgrade my engine. I'm thinking a new cam and propably a better air intake than the stock one. Any suggestions are welcome.

if you're gonna pay $1500 for a rebuild just buy a used b16 w/tranny and ecu. that setup in your car would run way quicker than your old motor. and it would cost almost exactly the same.

(b16)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>^(1000000000000000^1000000000000) d16a6.

don't bother with a rebuild if you wann stay SOHC d-series either, cause a great used d will at most cost $500.

Thanks for all the input guys I'll see what I can find kickn' around here in canada for engines and see about swapping it out.

Back