1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help !!!

Discussion in 'General Tech and Maintenance' started by dwn2low, Dec 27, 2003.

1. dwn2low

dwn2low Senior Member

Ok here is the deal. I just replaced the head gasket on a 93 Civic HB DX (auto). I went to crank up it cranks but will not start. So I used one of those compression testers that screw into the spark plug socket and got 90lbs on all 4 chambers. I then tested all my wires and spark plugs. 1 was not sparking so i replaced it. Now it still won't start but it will crank (wah, wah.wah) What now?

1. Is 90 lbs good or do i need more?
    2. Is it fuel, if so how would i check to see if it is getting it or not?
    3. WTF could it be :)

2. JDMilan

JDMilan Senior Member

your compression should be much higher, but atleast the numbers are all even across the board, chances are you aren't doing it correctly, I would check the distributor, all plugs, wires, etc.

3. dwn2low

dwn2low Senior Member

Ok I just tightened the shit out of my bolts and it boosted it to about 100. Is it possible the head is warped? I have another head so i'm cleaning it up now and going to put it on latter this afternoon.

4. dwn2low

dwn2low Senior Member

Ok just so anyone knows who has this problem I fixed it.

1. Make sure compression guage is straight upright. That means you need 2 people to test.

2. Replaced head this time i took some 220 grit sand paper to the head and block to ensure that they were clean of gasket material.

3. Placed timing belt forward 2 teeth. Sounded like a motter cycle then I went back 3 almost started then back 1 more and started like a charm.

4. The head I had was 8valve vs the old one 16valve. In order to keep a good idal you need to unplug the IACV.

Mark

5. rudeludenotmeanthough

rudeludenotmeanthough Senior Member

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted