Hertz Rent-a-Shelby is back

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

JDMPlaya

I might have to rent one!!

ford_shelby_mustang.03.jpg

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) - In 1966, you could go to Hertz and rent a Shelby GT350-H, a 306-horsepower high-performance version of the Ford Mustang.

Those cars, slightly modified versions of the Shelby GT350 available for purchase at Ford dealerships, were available to members of the Hertz Sports Car Club and could be rented at selected Hertz airport locations around the country.

See photos from the NY Auto show

Shelby produced 1,000 of the cars, most with automatic transmissions and black-and-gold paint schemes, but the program lasted for only one year, said Matt Stone, executive editor of Motor Trend Classics magazine. During that time, rental Shelbys made occasional weekend appearances at race tracks, he said.

Forty years later, Hertz customers will again get the chance to rent a Shelby. This time, 500 black-and-gold Shelby GT350s will have 325-horsepower engines and high-performance suspension. A standard Mustang GT has a 300-horsepower engine.

The black car with broad gold stripes will be unveiled Wednesday at the New York Auto Show.

Hertz will not be renting out the Shelby GT500 which goes on sale this summer with a 475-horsepower engine.

"Putting those in the rental fleet would be like putting a match to gasoline," said Stone.

Despite the program's short life, the original Shelby GT350-H has become a performance legend.

"The Shelby GT350-Hs are some of the most sought-after collector cars in the world," said Steve Davis, vice president of the auto auction company Barrett-Jackson.

One of the original cars in pristine shape can be worth up to $200,000, said Davis, who owns a nonrental 1967 GT350.

"Bringing back some of these styles and retro looks is absolutely brilliant," Davis said.

Photos: New York Auto Show cars

http://www.cnn.com/2006/AUTOS/04/11/new_yo...elby/index.html

do they still have a "must be 25 years old to rent a car" policy?

i wonder if you have to be in the Hertz #1 club to be able to rent it

i checked the website and they don't have any info about it at all. i emailed them to see if they say anything about it. i'll let you guys know if they say anything.

in article it says "unveiled Wednesday at the New York Auto Show" so I'm sure it will be awhile until it is available

It will be at least a year before you see it at Hertz... I'll be sure to rent one though... :mrgreen:

They also did the Dodge Shadow CSX-T for a rental... It was for Thrifty though.. (Hence the T)...

csx-t.jpg

88csx1.jpg

Sorry for the huge pic.

dad told me guys used to rent the shelby then swap motors with another stang and take them back anyone ever hear of this

Quoted post[/post]]
dad told me guys used to rent the shelby then swap motors with another stang and take them back anyone ever hear of this
This, is why they stopped renting them. Hertz Mustangs were MEANT to be raced. They were intended to be rented out so that people could experience track sports. (With the understanding you wouldn't wrap it around a pole)

The motor swapping thing, that was harsh.

BRING IT ON BITCHES!!!!!

i told you guys i would post when i got a reply from hertz....

Thank you for your inquiry. The Hertz Shelby Mustang 350GTH is anticipated to join the Hertz FUN Collection in approximately mid-May 2006 in several key markets areas. Unfortunately, we do not have a list of those areas. It will be in the same category as the Ford Mustang GT and can only be noted as a preference.

Kind Regards,
Linda D.
Correspondent
www.hertz.com
10401 N. Penn
Oklahoma City,OK 73120

so who is gonna go tear one up first???

Back