Hi, I just bought a '90 CRX Si

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

crx3.jpg

crx5.jpg

I have until July '05 to finish the car, and I want to spend $12,000 or less. I want to go for a conservative/sleeper look:
crx_green1.jpg

(partly because I am sick of getting tickets in my bright red Integra)

I plan to have a custom interior which will most likely weigh considerably more than the stock.

I brought it to the weigh station last night and it currently weighs 2080 lbs. (by the way does that sound right? I think the CAT scale may have been incorrect?)
My target weight range is probably going to be between 2250-2500 lbs.

I haven't put any thought towards suspension yet.

Right now it has the stock D16A6 @ 215k (obd0, SOHC, non-VTEC, 108bhp@6000rpm, 100lbs/ft@5000rpm).

I have no experience with Honda engine swapping yet. I've got plenty of time to go slow and do it right.

So my question is, what will be the best engine swap to make for this CRX? Specifically, what issues would I encounter considering the following engines? Taking into consideration OBD, availability of 1.5 LSD's, proven turbo's available, custom cutting/welding if any, kits available, etc, etc, etc.

B16A SiR (seems like best bet, this is probably what I'll do)
B17A1 (6lbs/ft of torque worth added headache?[compared to B16A SiR])
B18C1
B18C5
D16Z6 (underpowered and hard to justify with B16a SiR considered?)
D17A2 (not likely)
H22A (NOT an option so don't try to sell me on it)
K20A (could be an option if I had another year, also, if I did manage to get it in, would it throw off the balance like the H22A?)
ZC (easiest I know, but I want more. Possibly a VTEC conversion/head?)

I'm in the planning/part buying phase so give me all the analysis you've got. Thanks in advance for all the hondaswap.com wisdom, heh.

Too many questions. But what do you want out of the car? Think about what you want, a daily driver with some power, an auto-x car, drag car, street car, etc. Decide how it will be used and then we can give you some recommendations. Because every set up will use different parts. My advice is to read older posts on here and other sites such as honda-tech. Gets some ideas. Hit up google and do some searches out there.

If you want it to be nice and fast and still outrun domestics while being fun on the street, you'll probably want to look into a mildly built (pistons and rods) B16A or B18A/B turbo setup. You could easily put down 300whp with that and stay within a reasonably tight budget. Don't spend too much cash on the interior- you don't want to weigh yourself down too much, and you'll just be taking away from other needed chassis work, like suspension (replace those bushings!) and brakes. Fiberglass interiors aren't necessarily heavy either, and if you learn to glass your own stuff, it doesn't have to be expensive.

i too would probably do the b16

get a cable b16 swap
hasport mounts and shift linkage
hasport vtec wire harness

then on the engine do
pistons
rods
cams
sleeve the block
light flywheel and nice clutch
12000 dollars is limitless for a honda, you can build anything, you can hit 10's if you do it right

Back