HID Experts... Got a question...

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

ScrapinSi

Went to the swap meet today, and picked up a bunch of HID stuff from a guy selling all kinds of crap for $60... :ph34r:

I have one that looks like this
ad_1_sbl.JPG

And one that looks like this
28_1_b.JPG

My question is this... Can I use 1 in each headlight? Both of the bulbs seem to be 4300k from what I can tell.. Apparently they are both Nissan Ballasts...1 Bulb is an OSRAM, the other is a Philips... But researching the numbers on the bulbs tells me that they are both 4300k...

My only other question... Anybody know where I can get the wiring pinouts, or a plug for this one?
ad_1_sbl.JPG

I have the wiring plug for the other, but it didnt have the plug for this ballast...

hidplanet.com ask your question on their forums...I'm glad you see you actually got some d2s bulbs instead of a kit. I'm assuming you'll be picking up some projectors??? I wish I could afford a retrofit.

They are D2R bulbs. Apparently D2R bulbs have a slight reflector built into the bulb that helps to prevent upper glare... I am going to see how they look without the projectors first, then if i don't like it, i'll order some projectors and a spare set of headlights

The other thing I found, is that it will require ZERO modification of the headlight to fit these. You take H4 Bulbs, and basically cut out the bulb, like this
adaptor_plate.jpg

And the bulb fits in like this.
bulb_in_place.jpg

Well... I have been researching this all day... I have found quite a few things..

#1, different AGE bulbs will have different light output, not to mention different brands, different temps, etc... I'm going to try the 2 bulbs I have and see how bad it is.

#2. Always put the return wire on the bulb facing down.

#3. When putting HID bulbs into non HID Housings, use a reflector or it will look like your high beams are on..

I made some reflectors from some .030" aluminum today, and I'm going to JB Qwik them to a base tonight... So hopefully I might be installing HID's tonight. :cool:

You mean shields, not reflectors. I'm very glad that you're taking the time to do all this RIGHT. I hate badly installed HID retrofits. They give all of us light junkies a bad name, and only give the lawmakers more ammo to ban HID kits.

Yeah, I should have said shields... I am also leaving the OEM Reflectors obviously.

I soldered the ballast wiring last night, and epoxied it this morning... Maybe tonight i'll start making the relay harness...

2002 CRV. I wish I had the digital camera with me to take pics of the wiring and stuff... Maybe tonight...

Quoted post[/post]]
Yeah, I should have said shields... I am also leaving the OEM Reflectors obviously.

I soldered the ballast wiring last night, and epoxied it this morning... Maybe tonight i'll start making the relay harness...

Awesome.

Theoretically, I wouldn't think that running 2 different brands of ballasts would be an issue... they all put out 35W of juice, and should all be at the same voltage and amperage too (I think).

Yup... Running 2 different ballasts won't be a problem.

Running 2 different bulbs might be though... I have one philips, and one OSRAM.. Unknown age on both... They might light differently... And if they do, i'll either ebay a set of matching bulbs at 4300k, or my buddy's shop has 6500k for $200/pair. :\

If they're both OEM bulbs, they should be both rated at 4100K. The color difference won't be anything as extreme as running a 500K on one side and 4100K on the other. I wouldn't worry all too much.

I have been researching, and OEM Nissan bulbs are all 4300k. And OSRAM's change color with age faster than Philips bulbs do... We'll see once I power them up... Probably next weekend...

They're really only supposed to have major color shifts in the first few hours (like 10-20 I think) of life. The rest of it is really gradual.

alright I have HIDs in my stock headlights in my eg and while this thread is active: on the D2R bulb there is that little prong on the side of the bulb. how is that supposed to be angled on the headlight?

Back