High comp LS-V keeps blowing head gaskets

We may earn a small commission from affiliate links and paid advertisements. Terms

lsvguy

Ok, I built a high compression LS-V for a track car. I put high comp race pistons in it, stock LS rods and new bearings. The oil pressure switch is on a T-line on the back of the block running to the correct location on the head.

When I check the motor with a compression tester, it shoots straight to 300 (the cap of the tester) and bounces there.

The problem is that it blows the head gasket and starts mixing oil with the water very often. I've replaced the head gasket 3 times in the past 2 days and am getting tired of it.

Any ideas?

Motor is about 14:1 compression just so you know. Tried both GSR and B16 heads, both give the same problem.

I am running it on the stock head bolts though.

bolts are probably stretched and allowing the head to lift. get some new bolts and torque in 2-steps as the manual suggests (in-> out half torque; in-> out full torque)

Does anyone know off hand what the exact length of the head bolts is?

I'm considering just getting studs and not having to worry about it anymore.

Is the motor tuned? Have a tuner look into it; there's been some people who've had similar issues with high compression builds; and replacing the head gasket usually caused some sort of rod failure; so I'd look into that first.

If the tune is good, then definitely try the above suggestions.

yes it could be detonation killing your head gasket and soon it will be rod bearings also i highly advise geting studs also what brand pistons are you runing

Its definetly wouldnt hurt to check the deck surface and the head with a straight edge and feeler gauge. If the head or deck surface are not straight then you are wasting your time replacing gaskets, because it will never seal right. Like everyone said before you definetly need some arp head studs, factory bolts will stretch from high power builds such as yours. Even little imperfections or gouges in the aluminum on the head and deck surface can keep the gasket from sealing, so inspect it carefully before reassembly.

I would ditch the bolts and use studs, In LS-Vtec and B20 Vtec engines you MUST use GSR head studs. No and's if's or but's.

cometic MLS head gaskets are great, They make one for LS-Vtec builds so you wont blow em any more.

Back